Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    busyglen

Red face Grrr! Why am I so stupid?

Please can someone help me AGAIN!! I must be really thick!!

I am trying to rename my Miscellaneous page which is showing as 1.htm. It was the first link I ever did from my index page, so I didn't know what I was doing in the beginning. (I still don't). I want to call it miscellaneous.htm but I just can't see how to do it.

If I click on `properties' and `rename' nothing seems to happen. I have tried reading `help' but nothing seems to work....I am obviously missing something.
    I am using Frontpage 2000. The `help' says to do it in navigation mode, but if I click on that and click on the 1.htm file from the folder, I get nothing.

Help Myth, Guy.....or anyone else out there.

Glenys

busyglen

No probs Myth, thanks anyway. I should really have had some lessons, but thought I could get by without.....just shows how wrong I was.!

Glenys

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Try a right click?

I don't know FrontPage, but when you start the program I use (Namo WebEditor), it opens both the editing program and a Project Manager window. I wonder if the Project Manager is similar to the Navigation Mode in FrontPage?

Anyway, for me, the easy way to rename a file is in the Project Manager. Right click the file, and you get a menu with a range of options including rename. Hit Yes, and it offers to change all the links pointing to that page.

The hard way is to rename the file manually (in Windows Explorer), then remember which pages were linked to it, and change the links manually too. However, my program can make that a bit easier too, as you can get it to verify all the links. If you've changed a file name but not the links, these should show up in the list of broken links.

I'm not trying to sell my program (honest!) - but FrontPage may well have similar tools that you can use.

Good luck,
    Arthur

I have just done a little check in frontpage to make sure I am not talking through my hat and this is what I did.

click on the navigation mode so that you can see all the little boxes in what looks like a family tree then RIGHT click on the box you want to rename. this brings up the namebox with the name highlighted and you can just type in the new name then hit enter and it should be renamed

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Frank W

I use an IBM web program, and I know nowt about the others, but I'm not clear as to whether it's the file name for the web page or the "title" of the web page that you want to change. They are two different animals.

If you can get at the underlying HTML code you can find and hopefully edit the title near the top of the page, within the <head> to </head> section. (safer to do this on your PC rather than directly on the webspace)

If you want to change the file name then the safest way is perhaps to save the file on your PC under its new name and if all is well, you can delete the old file or stick an X at the beginning of the old name and save the old file as that.

Then if things are as you want them you can upload the new version of the page to the webspace, and delete the unwanted Xoldfilename when ready

Regards..........Frank W

busyglen

Thank you all for your suggestions....I will try Ladkyis way first as that is FP2000. I think I did try that but couldn't seem to make it work. I will have a go again when I log off later.

I have just discovered (I think) why my pages when viewed on line show as New Page 1, but the one's on my hard drive working file all show correct page names. Last year I had a hand tremor when clicking on the browse button on-line and went to double click my folder to open it. I did a multiple click, which effectively deleted the folder. And yes.....I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't backed it up So.....I had to copy the files from the on-line editor) and paste them back one by one to my working file and then re-set the links. Because I was effectively using a new page 1, for some reason, it didn't pick up the title. The ULR's all came out ok, but when I look at the html of my pages on-line, I appear to have the Title shown twice. Once showing the correct title and below `new page 1'. I thought it would have picked it up when I up-loaded to the site, but obviously not.

Yet another thing I'm going to have to sort out.....still if it works for the 1.htm file, I know I can change the others.....what a palaver!!

By way, I do have the facility to check the links and can repair any that are broken which is something.

Thanks again for everyone's help, much appreciated. I'll get this right one day...or kill myself in the trying!

Glenys

busyglen

I have just had another look, and every page seems to have two title tags. I guess this must have happened when I copy pasted. Somehow, I am going to have to delete one but what worries me is that every page has one `new page 1' title and underneath the correct page name title. On my working files, the title on the top of the page is correct, but the ones I up-loaded to the site show `new page 1' even though they are the same.

I'm going to have to give this a lot more thought before I attempt to put it right....I think I will try one page, and see what happens....I can always put it back again if it's wrong. Sorry to have wittered on....I am trying to talk myself into doing the right thing. And there was me thinking everything was hunky dorey, until someone mentioned that I hadn't got titles on my pages!! Oh well....that's life!

Glenys

Guy Etchells

Do you mean the title as shown in the title bar of a browser?
    If so open the page in Frontpage - select save as - select the change title icon just above the right hand end of the name bar.
    Change to required title.
    Cheers
    Guy

Guy Etchells

If you mean the actual title as held between the tags
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    click on the html box (bottom left of the page screen) and delete if duplicated or amend the title line to read the new title
    <title>Better title</title>
    Cheers
    Guy

busyglen

Yes, this is what I meant Guy, when I referred to two`title page tags'.

I tried one page (before I read your message) and deleted the `New Page 1' and left the correct one. I then up-loaded it and it left the correct page heading (in the top blue bar of the page).

Thanks for confirming that what I did was correct....more by luck than judgement.

Glenys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast