Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Estero, Florida. United States of America

Cool My first introduction...Hello from Florida!!

Hello Douglas Philp and Gregory McGraw. Just wanted to introduce myself and see how I can assist in furthering our research of ancestral genealogy. This is an exciting, intriguing , endeavor I always wanted to pursue but was too busy. Now I have some free time.

Please advise.

Thanks and nice to meet you!!

Douglas Philp

Default Hello John Philp

Greetings from one John Philp to another.

I assume you are the Grandson of Harry Philp which makes you Greg McGraw's 1st cousin and my 2nd cousin. Glad to meet you, although we probably met many years ago as children in Montrose, IA.
    I have a family tree on Ancestry.com which I have been working on for a number of years and I would be glad to share it with you if you are interested. It is "Philp Family Tree 2015-12-17" I have been researching the older generations of the family but at some point I wish to update my list of current generations so may ask you for help with your branch of the family. (marriages, kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc)

John Douglas Philp

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am Rick Philp's son, who is the first son of John Harry Philp (who was married to Betty). I am 45 years young and currently live in Estero, FL. Gregory McGraw has my contact info if needed. He is good friends with my mother.

I would be honored to assist with the family tree in any way possible. I will check out the ancestry web page and get back to you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Douglas,

I'm not sure how to access your pre-existing family tree. Please advise and I'll fill in what blanks I'm able to. Thank you

Douglas Philp

John,
    Not sure how familiar you are with Ancestry.com but if you contact me through them we can communicate directly and not through this message board. Just find my tree and send me your email info and I can give you access. My Ancestry.com member name is dphilp111

Doug

We do have a private messaging system where you can exchange email addresses etc. Just click on the users name and choose 'private message' from the drop down menu.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Philps from Cupar, Fife, Scotland

What a fascinating series of posts. I had no idea that we had Philp relatives in the USA!

My grandmother often mentioned her grandfather, Andrew Philp (Cupar, 1834 - Leith, 1912). He was the second son of Andrew Philp (Cupar, 1805 - Cupar, 1881), eldest known son of William Philp (ca 1770 - Cupar 1770) and Catherine Bell.

I was aware that Andrew had several siblings:

William, born Cupar 1831, who was an apprentice baker and was lodging in Edinburgh in 1861 with Andrew and younger brother Thomas. I could find no trace of him after that and was surprised to discover that he had emigrated to Montrose, Lee, Iowa, USA and became a farmer.

Janet, born Cupar 28 June 1835, who I lost trace of in 1851. I see she also ended up in Montrose, where she died on 04 September 1917.

Robert, born Cupar 1837. He became a successful saddler and ironmonger and was the inventor of the tawse (https://www.johndick-leathergoods.co....beginning.html). His son, Andrew, married Charlotte Penny, a niece of Andrew Penny "the Silver King of Bolivia". Robert's grandson, Captain Robert Philp won the MC in the Great War. Robert's great grandson, Andrew married Iona Trollope, a distant relative of the novelist Anthony Trollope.

John Philp, born Cupar 1839. I lost track of him after 1851, but it seems that he also emigrated to Montrose, USA, and had a number of descendants.

James Philp, born Cupar 1842. He joined the Black Watch while still under age and served in India during the mutiny, rising to become Colour Sergeant. Sadly, he was invalided out of the service and died in Edinburgh, of tuberculosis and heart disease, before his 30th birthday. He had no known children.

Thomas Philp, born Cupar 1844. Like his brothers William & Andrew, he was a baker. He married Jnet Low, but died in Edinburgh in 1903 without any children.

Of the Philps who remained in Scotland, my great-grandfather had moved to Edinburgh by 1861, and later moved to Saint Andrews, where he married. He died in Leith in 1912. His youngest brother Thomas shared the same journey, from Cupar, to Edinburgh, to Saint Andrews, then Leith. Robert, the ironmonger & saddler settled in Lochgelly, and according to unconfirmed family tradition, donated a clock to the town. Only Robert's eldest son Andrew had any children - it seems likely that Andrew died in Bolivia before 1911 - he had emigrated there in 1902, seemingly to manage the Penny silver mine after a court case concerning its ownership.

I'm not aware of any of the family still living in Fife. Andrew's uncle John (1815 - 1884), as you obviously know, emigrated from Cupar to Montrose, USA. I don't know if their sister, Elizabeth (born Cupar 24 April 1810) survived or had any children. Robert, the youngest know child (born Cupar 1816) had a number of children and grandchildren. Some emigrated to Canada, but others were living in Cupar as recently as 1942.

Best regards,

Iain Old, great-grandson of Janet Philp, daughter of Andrew Philp (1805 - 1881), son of William Philp (1770 - 1785)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

You found there were several family members that came over together. I would like to send a family tree of the ancestors which came to the USA. where I stand is my Mother was a Philp, Alice Lucille Philp ( 19 March 1937 - 4 February 1978), John Harry Philp (13 May 1896 - 13 Oct. 1963), Alexander Philp (22 Feb. 1856, Cupar - 2 Nov. 1906), John Philp (11 Nov. 1815 in Cupar - 20 June 1884 in Galland, Lee County, USA) William Philp 1770 Markinch, Fife, Scotland - 1835 Milton Balgonie, Fife).

Gregory Lee McGraw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12