Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Searching for Richard and Mary Ann

My 3xgt grandmother’s sister Mary Ann Arthur married Richard Hazelwood, Coachman, on 6 Nov 1854 at the Parish Church of St Austell. Both were of full age.
    Richard gives his father’s name and occupation as Richard Hazelwood, Innkeeper.
    Richard was born in Helston, Cornwall C1827.

Richard Hazelwood/Hasselwood, Innkeeper married Elizabeth Ball 29 Dec 1831 in Truro. He went on to have 4 children including a son, also Richard, born c1832 in Truro.

I have found Richard on the 1841 census HO107/139 f19 p 29
    1851 census HO107/1912 f386 p32
    Richard seems to disappear after his marriage.

In 1861 Mary Ann is a Grocer at Old Hill, St Austell, married. RG9/1548 f53 p14

I did find an entry in the London Gazette Jan 22 1858.This concerns the insolvency of Richard Hasselwood formerly of Laddock , then London, then Laddock, now Falmouth. Carpenter, grocer, draper & general dealer. I think this could be Richard born in 1832, Truro but I am not sure.

Any ideas of what happened to Richard and Mary Ann would be appreciated.

Census records crown copyright, care of the TNA

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Richard was born in Helston, Cornwall C1827.

I did find an entry in the London Gazette Jan 22 1858.This concerns the insolvency of Richard Hasselwood formerly of Laddock , then London, then Laddock, now Falmouth. Carpenter, grocer, draper & general dealer. I think this could be Richard born in 1832, Truro but I am not sure.

In the 1856 Post Office Directory for Cornwall there are entries under Ladock for Richard Hasselwood (grocer, draper & carpenter) and for a Mrs Elizabeth Hasselwood at the ‘Falmouth Arms’.

Their 1851 Census entry (HO107 piece 1909 folio 53 page 1) shows that Richard was 54 and born in Falmouth.

They also appear on the 1841 Census with a son Richard (HO107 piece 148 folio 8/5 page 2) but as your Richard comes from Helston and is enumerated separately, this can’t be him.

(Records in care of TNA, Crown Copyright)

Thanks for that. I had not seen the PO Directory.
    This seems to be the Richard, Innkeeper who possibly the father of Richard Hazelwood.

Kevin Garrad

Cornwall OPC (www Cornwall-opc-database.org) has only the marriage details of Richard Hazelwood.
    Richard is a coachman, his father, Richard, is an Innkeeper.
    Ann's father, Francis Arthur, is a farmer.
    They may have been Weslyan Methodists, because the following baptism entry exists:

Mevagissey Wesleyan Circuit
    7th September 1855
    Fanny Hazlewood Hazlewood/Scobarian (N.B. as transcribed!) age 18 months
    Father: Richard Mother: Ann
    Residence: Heligan

Richard Hasselwood has more entries, and is married to a Philippa Hayes, 13th Sept 1853 in Ladock.
    There are baptisms of children to Richard and Philippa.
    This Richard is a carpenter.

I hadn't seen this baptism entry before, very interesting. More to look for now !

Coromandel

I tried old newspapers but besides the bankruptcy can only find references to Richard H., innkeeper (presumably the father) and Richard H. marrying Philippa. These don't answer your original question, Kath, but in case you don't already have them, here are the references:

Richard Hasselwood, innkeeper, 'living near the quay' (in Truro?), gave evidence in a civil court case about a steamer called the 'Dart' (Royal Cornwall Gazette, 29 Aug 1845).

[Death]
    Royal Cornwall Gazette, Friday 9 January 1852
    'At Bissick, in the parish of Ladock, on Wednesday last, Mr. Richard Hasselwood, innkeeper, aged 53 years.'

[Marriage]
    Royal Cornwall Gazette, Friday 16 Sept 1853
    'At Kenwyn, on Tuesday last, Mr. Richard Hasselwood, carpenter of Bissick, in the parish of Ladock, to Philippa, youngest daughter of Capt. Hayes, of Truro.'

The link to Bissick makes me suspect that it may have been Richard the carpenter who was son of Richard the innkeeper: have you ruled out this possibility, Kath?

That baptism Kevin found (post #4) is rather curious. Does it suggest that that Richard had an alternative surname? That might explain why is proving difficult to find.

Thank you for the newspaper reports.
    There are definitely 2 Richard Hazelwood/Hasslewoods both sons of Richard the Innkeeper. The one I am looking for b1827 Helston seems to be illegitimate. They both appear on the 1841 census but Richard b 1832 Truro is hiding in 1851.
    I have just found a birth for Fanny Hazzlewood Scoboria/o on Free Bdm March 1854
    Last edited by KathNZ; 16-03-2011 at 9:20 AM. Reason: Addition of information

malcolm99

The Richard Hasselwood who was the son of Richard Hasselwood, publican, in the 1841 Census (HO107 piece 148 folio 8/5 page 2) is the same Richard Hasselwood as ends up in the 1871 Census at Victoria Cottages, Falmouth (RG10/2293/55/42) His mother’s sister Mary Ball is living with them in all the censuses 1841- 1871.

1851 Census is HO107/1909/53/1
    1861 Census is: RG9/1449/35/7.

As this Richard married Phillippa, this family from Truro & Ladock can be ruled out as having any immediate connection with Mary Ann Arthur.

(Records in care of TNA, Crown Copyright)

Coromandel

Kath, have you traced a baptism for the other Richard (born Helston)? I see that in 1841 he was in the same household as a Blanch Minors ('35', dressmaker) while in 1851 he was with his grandfather Edward Winnan, 85 year old annuitant in Helston. (Census references as quoted in your earlier post). The Cornwall OPCs shows that an Edward Winnan had married Elizabeth Minors in Helston in 1811. Apologies if you have this already: I am trying to spot any likely alternative name that Richard might have used.

I can't find any references to a name 'Scobarian' on Ancestry, FreeBMD etc., and all that Google finds is this thread, so I guess it must be a transcription error.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I can't find any references to a name 'Scobarian' on Ancestry, FreeBMD etc., and all that Google finds is this thread, so I guess it must be a transcription error.
    Cornwall OPCs does have some instances of a name variously spelled SCOBORIO, SCOBORYO and SCOBORIER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast