Thread: O'Donnell

SamCan

Smile O'Donnell

I am researching the O'Donnell family from Kilkenny, Ireland. I am currently trying to find information on Michael O'Donnell born in 1818 in Kilkenny, Ireland.

He enlisted in 47th Reg, then was transfered to 57th Reg on 1 March 1852, also Kilkenny.
    He held the British Crimean Medals with Three Clasps for Balaclava, Sevastopol and Inkerman.

After a short stay at Malta his regiment was ordered to India and took part in the latter stages of the India Mutiny.

From Bombay the regiment came to Auckland and then was sent to New Plymouth where they become involved in the Maori Wars. Amongst the actions was the against the Waitara Maori stronghold of Te Arei. He was also part of the garrison that had defended Sentry Hill Redoubt against its attack by the Hau Hau in 1863.

At the cessation of the Maori Wars Michael O'Donnell settled at New Plymouth and he started a business at a bookmaker, a trade he continued in for 20 years.

If anyone has any further information it would be much appreciated.[/COLOR]

SamCan

Michael married Johanna Skully. I am unsure of the dates of movements while in the army, but they did have a son while in India with the 57th Regiment his name was Richard O'Donnell who was born on the 21 November 1860 in Poona, India. Michael and Johanna did also have another daughter born abt 1849, the only source I have been able to find saying they have a daughter is on Johanna's death cert, but also it has no name of the daughter, it just states that she has a living daughter at the time of her death. The family came to New Zealand with the 57th Regiment but I also haven't been able to find what ship and what port they arrived on in New Zealand but it was abt 1861.

SamCan

Michael's death cert also has his parents named as Michael John O'Donnell and Ellen Moore and Johanna's death cert has father is unknown and mother is Ellen Skully. I have no further details on Michael John O'Donnell, Ellen Moore, or Ellen Skully.

SamCan

Yes I am looking for information on their parents and early life, so maybe it should be in the Irish Forum.

Thank you.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SamCan View Post
    I am currently trying to find information on Michael O'Donnell born in 1818 in Kilkenny, Ireland.
    He enlisted in 47th Reg, then was transfered to 57th Reg on 1 March 1852
    Do you have his army service record?

There's a candidate whose details seem to match well -- enlisted 1848 in Clonmel, transferred 47th/57th regiments on 1 Mar 1852, discharged in Wanganui 1864. But this Michael O'DONNELL was allegedly born in St Mary, Kilkenny in 1831.

In case this is of any interest, the record (11 images) can be viewed and downloaded from the pay/subscription site Find My Past > British Army Service Records 1760-1913, reference WO 97/3581/40.

SamCan

No I didn't have his army service record.

I downloaded it and it does seem to be the same Michael O'Donnell. I am unsure about the birth date. All his records here in New Zealand and his death cert state he was born in 1818, but I have been talking to some O'Donnell family members and they believe he may have lied about his to be enlisted in the army.

Thanks for your help :-)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SamCan View Post
    they believe he may have lied about his to be enlisted in the army.
    That theory doen't appear to be supported by the service record.

You'll see (on page 1) that he enlisted at the stated age of 17 years and 10 months on 22 June 1848. Time served before the age of 18 was not pensionable, and for his first two months' service he's recorded as being under age (on page 2).

If it is the same man, perhaps there were other reasons why he wanted to appear 15 years older than he really was? That should be an interesting research project.

Do you know anything about any O'Donnell's in Limerick?