Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gjertine Olsdat

Pedersen

Default Gjertine Olsdat

Could anyone please help me to trace my great-grandmother, Gjertine Olsdat of Norway? She appears on the 1865 Census in Bodin but I cannot find her marriage or death. Her son, Edvard Imenhof Pedersen - my grand-father, was born in 1883. His father was Frithjof Pedersen. Thank you in anticipation,Brad.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you tried: pilot.familysearch.org/ -

there is a Gjertine, tho' she is transcribed as Olsdatter, one such is married to Halvord (or similar) I didn't search them all.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

kaysii

Hi, Olsdat is short for Olsdatter which means daughter of Ole.
    How much do you know already exactly? I have found the birth record of your grandfather in the parish register for Bodø land district and can give you the link if you need it. Gjertine and Frithjof were not married, but living on the same farm. I looked a couple of years afterwards in the marriage register, but found no marriage between them. I found both Gjertine and Frithjof in the 1875 census. What makes you think that Gjertine married? Did your grandfather emigrate and if so when? There is an Edvard Fritjofsen in 1900, but the age is about 5 years out. How familiar are you with the Norwegian digital archives? You can search through a lot of the parish registers online.
    kaysii

kaysii

Have found a death of a Gjertine Emilie Olsen in the rural district of Bodø 7 Dec 1891. She was married to a Daniel Hansen.https://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_rea...&idx_side=-351
    kaysii

kaysii

Not sure what you have already, but this is the marriage of "Gerthine" to Daniel. https://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_rea...&idx_side=-278
    It says the place of birth is Ertsvig. The holding she is on in 1865 is called Møllervold which is actually under the farm Ertsvig.

If you don't have your grandfather's record of baptism, I can pass on the link, but I'm guessing you don't have his confirmation record which took place in 1899. Here it gives his parents names and where he was born (Ertsvig) and that his foster father is Ole Andersen.
    https://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_rea...&idx_side=-201
    I have also found the baptism records of both Frithjof and Gjertine if you don't have them already. Also the Edvard mentioned above in 1900 is on the same farm as his father was living in 1875.
    kaysii

Pedersen

Thank you for directing me to the Family Search site. I found the marriage of Gjertine to Daniel Hansen in 1886.

Pedersen

Hi, I do have a copy of Edvard`s birth record in the parish register, thank you, but I am having some difficulty with translation.
    Frithjof Pedersen came to Australia in 1889, married in 1906 and died in 1928. Edvard Imenhof joined him in 1902. The information I am seeking is about Edvard and Gjertine in Norway.

Pedersen

Thank you for directing me to this site and for the valuable information. Again I am finding difficulty in translating the information.

Pedersen

Hi, I did not have Edvard`s confirmation -thanks for that. Could you please direct me to the baptism records for Frithjof and Gjertine.I have been unable to connect to the Census records (site error) to trace Edvard`s domicile before coming to Australia. Would you please have a possible link? The information you have given to me has been of tremendous help.

kaysii

Hi,
    Information regarding Edvards baptism.
    Going through the columns fødselsdatum refers to date of birth. Daabsdatum refers to baptism date, the 4th column refers to baptism date in the church if baptised at home, 5th column is child’s full name, 6th is parents full name and occupation, 7th parents place of residence. 8 is parents’ birth year, father and mother, 9th refers to the godparents. 10th aegte or uaegte refers to whether married or unmarried, 11 refers to comments. The godparents section is sometimes useful for tracing families, as relatives are often included or other people living on the same farm.
    In Edvard’s case most is self explanatory. After Gjertine Olsdatter’s name is written “hendes 1ste leiermaal” which I think refers to the fact that it is her first illegitimate child. Ertsvig is the farm both of them are living on. As mentioned before, the smallholding that Anders Olsen, Gjertine’s father, is living on is part of Ertsvig. The date of birth for Gjertine is completely out for some reason, no idea why. The godparents are Jens Thommesen of Ertsvig, Kristian J. ?Narveisen or Hansen?, Ingvard Thomesen and Erika Olsdr (Erika Olsdatter is Gjertine’s sister). In addition to difficulties with handwriting, you will find spellings can vary considerably. In the last column, Ole Andersen of Ertsvig is the informant for the birth because Gjertine is unmarried.
    kaysii

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast