Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DianaCanada

Default What Happened to Thomas Summers Spencer?

I have a lot of brick walls around one particular branch of my family – would like any help or suggestions on this one:
    I have just received the certificate for the second marriage of my great-great grandmother, Mary Ann Lounds/Lounce (first married 24 Nov 1846 in Huddersfield, Yorkshire to Joseph Ford). She married 24 Dec 1861, Huddersfield Register Office, Thomas Summers Spencer, widower. There is much more I would like to know about Mary Ann, but want to find out more about Thomas at this point.
    It appears that Mary Ann died early in 1863 in Huddersfield, and Thomas Summers Spencer married again in Jun 1863 in Huddersfield. This was his third marriage, the first being to Mercy Hill in Canterbury district, Kent in Jun 1851 (as Thomas Spencer).
    Thomas was born in E. Grinstead, Sussex to Louisa Spencer in 1822.
    I can find no other records for Thomas. I would like to find him because I would like to know if Mary Ann and he possibly had a child before she died and if she did, if the child is with him.
    It is possible that Thomas left for “America” – there is a family story that my great-grandmother’s father (Joseph Ford Sr.) deserted the family and crossed the Atlantic. However, perhaps it was her stepfather Thomas who went.
    A coincidence or maybe not – Thomas’ stepson Joseph Ford (Jr.) went to southern England in his twenties and married a young lady who was born and lived only a few miles from E. Grinstead. A possible connection to his stepfather being from that area?

anamarja

Checking on FreeBMD, the only possibles for a marriage to Thomas Summers Spencer are a Mary Haworth or a Mary Shaw. Huddersfield Vol 9a, page 437. Sorry - that was next marriage, the 1863 one. Have the one to Mary Ann Ford.
    Last edited by anamarja; 13-03-2011 at 7:33 AM. Reason: Made a goose of myself!!!lol

Kevin Garrad

Sorry anamarja, you must be looking at the wrong quarter?

December 1861, Huddersfield, Vol 9a, Page 499

Spencer, Thomas Summers
    Ford, Mary Ann

Kevin Garrad

There are 2 marriage entries for Mercy Hill in Canterbury - June qtr 1851 and March qtr 1851.
    Thomas Spencer is mentioned in both.

Mercy Spencer dies June 1861, Huddersfield, vol 9a, page 235

I can't find Thomas or Mercy on the 1861 census?
    And I can't see Thomas on the 1871 census either. An elusive man!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

1851 census
    HO107/1625 f 38 p 18
    Thomas Spencer, a boot maker, living in St Gregory Canterbury. Says he was born Hartfield Sussex. Hartfield is about 5 miles from East Grinstead.
    Mercy Hill and her daughter are listed as visitors.

1861 census
    RG9/3261 f 100 p 23
    Thomas L Spencer, widower, aged 39, boot maker, born Middlesex London living in Huddersfield.
    With him is Mercy's daughter from 1851.
    Thomas is indexed on Ancestry with the middle initial L.
    FMP have Thomas indexed as Thomas F Spangler.

Can't find him in 1871.

(Census in care of TNA and Crown copyright.)
    Pam

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    Thomas was born in E. Grinstead, Sussex to Louisa Spencer in 1822.
    Family Search has this;

Name: Thomas Summers Spencer, Male
    Baptism/Christening Date: 25 Mar 1821 East Grinsted, Sussex, England
    Father's Name:
    Mother's Name: Louisa Spencer
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C07056-1 Source Film Number: 919115

DianaCanada

Hi, thanks all for the info. - I do have this data, and like a couple of you, have not found him after his third marriage to either Mary Shaw or Mary Haworth in 1863. I have checked the censuses and BMDs but with no luck. Hoping someone with a sharper eye might find him!
    Sorry for my original mistake about Thomas being born in 1822 - should have been 1821. On the marriage certificate to Mary Ann they are both listed as 38 (24 Dec 1861) - Mary Ann's age varies from source to source as well.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    his third marriage to either Mary Shaw or Mary Haworth in 1863
    The other male listed on FreeBMD marriages in 1863 is a Alexander CARMICHAEL. He can be found with his wife Mary and two children in 1871, living with Mother-in-Law Jane SHAW, so it would appear that Thomas married Mary HAWORTH.

DianaCanada

Thanks Jellylegs for that information. Haworth is a very common name in that area but it does narrow it down.

DianaCanada

I have just received what I thought would be the death record for my ancestor Mary Ann Lounds/Lownds Ford Spencer who married Thomas Summers Spencer in 1861. As Thomas remarries in Jun Q 1863 I was sure she was the Mary Ann Spencer who died in Mar Q 1863. The certificate came today - age 49, wife of Benjamin Spencer, living at Engine Bridge, Huddersfield, informant Jonathan Spencer. Everything fits nicely with a Mary Ann on the census in 1861, right down to husband's occupation (beer retailer) and son by name of Jonathan.
    I am completely perplexed. If TS Spencer married again, he was either committing bigamy or was a widower. And if Mary Ann was still alive, I can't find her after the 1861 marriage. Her children are living with her brother in Huddersfield in 1871.
    This one is really making me grouchy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast