TimeTraveller

Default Is Grandad Buried in Saline?

My grandfather, John Wilson, was born in Saline, Fife, in 1883 and died in Edinburgh in 1914. I can't locate his grave in Edinburgh so I'm wondering if he was buried in Saline. After searching one cemetery with no luck I returned to Canada only to discover that there is an older cemetery which I missed. How can I find out if John Wilson (or any Wilsons) are buried there?

Richard1955

Hi Time
    You may find something here. Scottish births, marriages, deaths and census.

www.
    scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&404

It looks like it's free and you just have to register.

Good luck
    Richard
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 11-03-2011 at 6:00 PM. Reason: removed direct link to paysite

Mary Young

I'm afraid Scotlandspeople website won't help with place of burial; this was required only in the first two years of statutory registration of death (1855-1856).

If you believe your grandfather was buried in Saline, you could email the contact person for West Fife Bereavement Services at Dunfermline Crematorium
    https://www.fife.gov.uk/atoz/index.cf...19C78BDA81BEC4

Have you already ruled out Edinburgh by asking for a search? The records are held at Mortonhall Crematorium. I had experience of this recently. There is a manuscript book for each cemetery, with no global index. So you must supply the name and exact date of death to enable all the books to be searched. I found the staff very kind and competent.
    https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/655..._churchyards/2

TimeTraveller

You are quite correct Mary. Scotlandspeople did not have the information. I have already contacted Mortonhall who was unable to help me. They kindly provided me with contacts for other Edinburgh cemeteries. So far no luck. Thank you for these leads. I'll see where they take me.
    I'll be in Edinburgh in April and hope to have an answer before I arrive.

Mary Young

Do let us know if you make progress!