Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lawsue

Hi. I think my mystery is starting to fall into place. Caroline Seago is I believe my Caroline Storey. On convict records her age range is about 2 years here another 2 years there. I believe when she was transported she had a child left in UK, husband as well. Another child when with her assignee in VDL. Child registered. Sent back to the crown for being pregnant and later reassigned. Child deseased. All coming together nicely (so to speak).
    Thanks everyone

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lawsue View Post
    Caroline Seago is I believe my Caroline Storey.
    Thanks for posting an update.

Her stated place of birth was giving cause for concern ...

She was born in Hastings Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There are baptisms for Emma SEAGO at Tooting Graveney on 22 Aug 1813, and for Caroline SEAGO at St Leonard Streatham on 29 Sep 1816 (born 5 Sep)
    I wonder if you have been able to resolve this?

EDIT - As an afterthought, I wonder if St Leonard Streatham might have been confused with St Leonards-on-Sea, part of Hastings?

lawsue

Thanks...On death cert of daughter, Caroline Blanche Lange nee Pettett, it is stated that she was born in Hastings, however all research has her born in Tasmania to convicts Caroline Storey and Alfred Pettett. The family believed her to be born France.....where that came from I have no idea as they new nothing much about her. Alfred Pettett (convict) is definately our ancestor. Both he and wife died in area where we can relate to. Names are all the same and his trade as tailor, noted on convict details, is same as GG's trade in same area. I guess the family did not know of sordit past or they told a few porkies.Convict details have Caroline Storey born in Tooting, IGI have her married in Lambeth to John Storey and IGI have her born in Streatham in 1816. All about the same area. For now my mystery is as it stands (hope nothing else gets in my way). Now sorting out Pettett ancestors. Thanks again.
    Sue

spison

I guess the family did not know of sordit past or they told a few porkies. Thanks again. Sue
    I'd imagine that Caroline and Alfred tried to hide their convict past firstly by changing states and secondly by telling porkies. My Tasmanian ancestor began using his middle name and moved to NSW (probably via NZ and/or WA). His son had NO IDEA he had been transported until the family began to insist that he apply for the old age pension. He'd lied so many times on his childrens' birth registrations that he had no proof of age and wouldn't state his ship of arrival. He ended up with the pension but (unknown to him) Tasmania documented the application on his original file. (There is a lot in Tasmania that isn't on line.) We knew the story that he was a convict but finding him was really difficult. It's only easy and obvious when you've finally tracked them.
    Jane

lawsue

Hi Kath
    Just wondering, as you do, you mentioned that the family travelled to NSW in 1851. Could you let me know where you found this info please. I am still a novice and sometimes it gets a bit daunting trying to tie all this together. Thanks
    Sue

lawsue

HI,
    Thanks for the hints. I wonder if we will be tracked down like this 170 years later. Let's make it just as hard for them.
    Sue

I have sent you a private message Sue.

Katherine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12