apowell

Default George & Dragon pub in Halesowen

Hi,

In the 1884 Kelly's Directory, Worcestershire I found this entry:

William Hadley George & Dragon 55 Halesowen Road

I found this interesting because my x3 Great Grandfather George Hadley was Landlord of the same pub on the 1891 census. George's father was also called William who was by trade a Gunsmith appearing on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire trade directories from 1851.

William Hadley was licensee at the George and Dragon, 54 Halesowen Road in Oldbury from 1884 - 1886. I would like to find out when George Hadley took over the licensee of the George & Dragon which may help prove a link with the William mentioned. This may however be just a coincidence because lots of Hadleys lived around the local area.

The other question I'm unsure about is who would have owned the George and Dragon and if it was a brewery which one? Also would the licensee have taken a salary or only a percentage of any profits the pub made.

I visited Halesowen from Finland and had a pint in this pub (name had changed) which was smashing because part of the interior was original.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Jan1954

Hello Adrian,

A couple of suggestions for you:

The licensing register should be held by the Shropshire Archives and would show the details of the owner.

If you know the current name of the pub, contact the landlord/lady and ask for details of the brewery that owns it now. Then google their details and whizz off an email to their archives. However, if it is a Free House, ask said landlord/lady if they have any historical details that came with the purchase of the building/business.

You may also find this to be of interest.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Adrian
    According to the Sandwell Telephone 29.9.94. Application was made for the licence of the George & Dragon to be was renewed to William Grant, son of the previous owner, who the police had objected to. It was stated that , if it was refused for Mr Brant, then the clients would submit another name. The licence was refused for William Grant, but renewed to Mrs Grant (his mother) on condition that another tenant was found.
    This would seem to indicate that William Hadley was the other tenant that was found (in 1894) .
    Info from Hitchmough's "Black Country Pubs"

Oldburyhadley

Hi
    I realise hat this chat is 4years old but here goes
    You may be interested in www.oldburyhadley.com
    Please comment on either here or the website
    Thanks, Ian