Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

I think you can be pretty certain that Thomas is the son of Hannah, as he named his first child Hannah.

Wilkes_ml

Is that the marriage to Martha Ann Grace in 1847?

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    No, Mary Ann Ilsley.

They're in the 1851 census with their daughters Hannah, Elizabeth and Emily.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1685; Folio: 576; Page: 16

RobinC

I've just found the Thomas Witherell from Cholsey in 1871 and he's married to an Elizabeth and they have several of their offspring in Clifton, Gloucestershire so I can rule him out.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I can't find a marriage for a Martha Ann Grace in 1847.

Wilkes_ml

Sorry, I saw a marriage of a Thomas Wetherall in the expected registration district of Abingdon in June quarter 1847 with the reference 6 187, but there was no Mary Ann, but a Martha Ann Grace with the same reference number (i.e. on the same page). Of course, you would have one of the children's birth certificates that give's the mother's maiden name as Illsey ( I think I needed some sleep!)

I just assumed from the census with both Thomas and Mary Ann being born around Chievely, that they would have married near there which would have been the Abingdon registration district, but of course, they could have been living away from their birth place at the time of their marriage. Just goes to show how easy it is to make mistakes when making assumptions when tired!

RobinC

I've got the birth certificate for Tom William Witherell who was born on the 17th December 1854 at Chieveley to Thomas Witherell farmers labourer & Mary Ann Witherell formerly Ilsley.

Thomas registered the birth on the 3rd January 1855 at Chieveley.

I have also got the birth certificate of Tom William's son (also named Tom William) who was born on the 24th August 1876 to Tom William Witherell bricklayer & Mary Ann Witherell formerly Collins.

Mary Ann (the mother) registered the birth on the 7th September 1876 at Chieveley.

I am happy with all the information that I have got leading back to Thomas from 1821 but need to work out his parents in order to proceed.

RobinC

I think Richard can be discounted as being Thomas's father if the following marriage is for the same Richard Jemmett as the one that married Hannah.

Name Richard Jemmett
    Spouse's Name Mary Scotforde
    Event Date 19 Jan 1818
    Event Place Caversham,Oxford,England

I had a look on Google Earth and Caversham is 3.7 miles west of Sonning, where Richard & Hannah were living in 1841 and Beedon is a further 25.5 miles west of Caversham (almost a straight line).

RobinC

I have received the marriage certificates for Thomas's marriage to Mary Ann Ilsley and Hannah's marriage to William Waight.

The following is an excerpt from Thomas's marriage certificate and it looks like it says his father is William White.

Moving on to Hannah:

Her father is James Wetherall according to her marriage certificate.

RobinC

Where do I go from here?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast