ruala

Default peckham tailors 1860 onwards

hey anyone know if there was many tailors in the peckham /peckham rye area/nunhead/camberwell in the 1860's 1880 . also where abou'ts they may have been situated small or large any buisness names

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Can you toss in a name Ruala? That would help to search Directories or even censuses.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

malcolm99

There are nearly 50 tailors listed in Camberwell in 1861 so as Waitabit says we'll have to have something more to narrow the search down a bit.

malcolm99

malcolm99

...and it looks like there were at least 300 in 1881!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I closed my page when I saw your first count Malcolm99.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mutley

Don't forget the fact that he may have worked on the opposite side of the river (Thames), well known for tailoring.

I believe there is a Guild of Merchant Tailors and I think the records are still at Threadneedle Street where they are based, try google. (Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors/Tailors)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Don't forget the fact that he may have worked on the opposite side of the river (Thames), well known for tailoring.
    As did my GGGGG Grandad (but he disappeared after 1823 - if anyone's seen him please put me in touch!!).

ruala

hi i'm really sorry i dont know all i know is joseph rolph worked as tailor in in the 1871 cens and his marriage cert dated 1860 but on his sons birth cert in 1867 (MY GGRANDFATHER) he was a letter carrier and on his death cert in 1879 his trade was a tailor and journeyman . you guys have helped me put all this together. thanks again

malcolm99

Hello Ruala

There's some interesting stuff on tailors in Victorian London on the web

Go to victorianlondon.org (put www.in front). In the list on the left hand side, click on ‘Professions & Trades’. In the new list, click on ‘Clothing’.

Run your eye down this new list and you’ll see ‘tailors (1) (2) (3)’. Click on the numbers in the brackets and you’ll see 3 interesting articles about ‘ordinary’ tailoring in Victorian London.

Hope this helps.

malcolm99

Reputation beyond repute

his trade was a tailor and journeyman
    Not tailor and journeyman, but journeyman tailor. That means he was an employee, not self employed. This means you are unlikely to find him in a trade directory.