Thread: WinReg 3.1

tigger88

Default WinReg 3.1

HI all
    I'm just a newbie at this and have just downloaded WinReg 3.1 after using WinReg2 for a few days. Has anyone else used it yet as I'm abit confused as to the meaning of the colours.
    I will get used to using the program it seems quite easy to use, but would quite like to know what the different colours mean. i.e. I had to delete reference numbers from one column and add to the image column which turned pink. Also some of the dates are pink!
    Thank you.

Cheers
    Lesley

Mike Fry

I can help!

Pink - field contents has been changed
    Greenish - field is in edit mode

What else?
    Last edited by Mike Fry; 07-02-2011 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Typo

Carmy

I've been transcribing for Wales for a while but I cannot get used to the new version. It takes three times as long to do one entry. I find that a waste of time and I have resigned from transcribing. I have notified my supervisor.

If the old version can be made available, I'm willing to give it another shot. The Welsh files are badly in need of someone who can speak and spell Welsh placenames, but the new version is too frustrating. Why would someone update and mess around with something that worked perfectly well?

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Carmy

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    I've been transcribing for Wales for a while but I cannot get used to the new version. It takes three times as long to do one entry. I find that a waste of time and I have resigned from transcribing. I have notified my supervisor.

If the old version can be made available, I'm willing to give it another shot. The Welsh files are badly in need of someone who can speak and spell Welsh placenames, but the new version is too frustrating. Why would someone update and mess around with something that worked perfectly well?

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Carmy
    You obviously had some concerns. It would have been useful to me (the developer), and the other transcribers, if you had taken the time to lay out exactly what these concerns were. Simply saying something doesn't work the way you'd like it to is not helpful to anyone.

I would agree that early editions of this release had some problems. But each subsequent release has addressed the data-entry problems. By the way, at which version was it when you decided to give up?

The new version, with its' spreadsheet look and feel, should, in fact be a lot easier to use. Particularly when you throw in the ability to customise the data-entry sequence to match the register from which you are transcribing.

Please, write to me with your concerns. My address can be found from the 'Email a bug' facility from within the program. There is also the Help file which contains an email link to me on every page. So there's really no excuse for just giving up.

manicmongrel

Hi Carmy

I couldnt agree more. I tried WinReg 3.1 and it was so frustrating I deleted it and went back and downloaded FreeReg 2

which is still available on the FreeReg web site. Its a classic case of ' if it ain't broke don't fix it'

manic

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by manicmongrel View Post
    Hi Carmy

I couldnt agree more. I tried WinReg 3.1 and it was so frustrating I deleted it and went back and downloaded FreeReg 2

which is still available on the FreeReg web site. Its a classic case of ' if it ain't broke don't fix it'

manic
    And you did so without even having the courtesy to discuss your frustrations with me, the developer, in private, before you did so.

As I said previously, if you have concerns or questions, I always reply to emails. I can be contacted via either version of the program via the 'Email a Bug' option under the Help menu. It's pointless raising your frustrations here, in this forum, because I don't always check in every day. Emails are sure to reach me and get a response, mikefry(AT)iafrica.com

Carmy

I have no idea which version it was because I have booted it off my computer. Maybe Susan Jones would be able to tell you because I contacted her to let her know I could not work with it. My last uploaded transcript for Glamorgan was massive so I didn't update to the new WinReg version until I had finished that file.

Whichever version it was, it was an inefficinet use of my time. I don't mind volunteering, but not if I have to deal with a program that does not allow me to complete projects without becoming frustrated and angry.

Why, when I clicked to make a new entry, did it automatically list the date of the previous entry? I was ready to enter the new date but found I had to go in first to delete the old one. I'm a fast typist and the delay while I made unnecessary "corrections" was ridiculous.

Some columns, like the wife/widow were slow to open. In other places, the Tab to go to the next column didn't always work and resulted in additional unnecessary editing.

I don't have the patience to mess about with the 'new and improved' when it proved to be anything but. Transcribing Welsh files is hard at the best of times because few of the clergy could speak Welsh. Their spellings are often phonetic or garbled and had to be 'translated'. Add that to a program that I didn't find efficient and maybe you'll understand my frustration. I didn't even complete the transcript I was working on.