Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    richard49

Default Using a library to search genealogy websites

This may be the wrong section of this forum to post to but I couldn't think of anywhere else, sorry.

I live at Waltham Abbey in Essex.

My local library has a free link (must be an Intranet) to Ancestry.com.

I find Ancestry.com quite difficult to use in that I don't find it very 'user friendly'.

I have been looking at 'Find my Past' on my computer at home (free trial with no option to view records) and am very pleased with how easy it is to use.

Now I can't afford to join Find my Past as I'm retired and on minimal funds so.....

Do you know of any libraries in the Essex / Herts. / London areas that do have free access to 'Find my Past'?

Thanks,
    Richard

malcolm99

You live fairly close to Cheshunt. Hertfordshire Libraries appear to subscribe to Find My Past and it would be worth seeing if you can join Cheshunt Library. Their contact details are here:

https://www.
    hertsdirect.org/services/libraries/findlib/libs/che

Hi Richard

ancestry is easier to use if you use the Old Search feature. On the home page click on Search, 3rd from left on bar at top of page, When the next page comes up look to the right under the same bar and in very small letters it says Go to Old Search. If you are already using this feature forget I said anything

Also on the old search page, below the box for entering your info is a map with Browse for Location. You may get more positive results if you click on the country you need and then look for a specific data base.

Reputation beyond repute

If you care to pop in to London (bus pass? railcard?) you could visit the Society of Genealogists in Clerkenwell. If you're not a member you have to pay a fee but then you can use their entire extensive genealogical library facilities including free access to all online services.

Coromandel

The Essex Society for Family History has a Research Centre in Chelmsford. See this page for details:

esfh.org.uk/research_centre.htm

The facilities apparently include 'free access to the on line facilities provided by "Find my Past"'. Non-members can use the Research Centre but I can't tell from the blurb whether you need to be a member to make use of the free FMP.

P.S. It is worth persevering with Ancestry as there's much on there that isn't available on FMP (for example First World War service records and scanned images of many London parish registers).

richard49

Thank you so much for that information Peter, it's really helpful...

richard49

Thank you Coromandel,
    I might go and visit them soon.

richard49

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    You live fairly close to Cheshunt. Hertfordshire Libraries appear to subscribe to Find My Past and it would be worth seeing if you can join Cheshunt Library. Their contact details are here:

hertsdirect.org/services/libraries/findlib/libs/che
    ----------

Malcolm,
    Thank you so much for that information, I'll contact them...

richard49

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Richard

ancestry is easier to use if you use the Old Search feature. On the home page click on Search, 3rd from left on bar at top of page, When the next page comes up look to the right under the same bar and in very small letters it says Go to Old Search. If you are already using this feature forget I said anything

Also on the old search page, below the box for entering your info is a map with Browse for Location. You may get more positive results if you click on the country you need and then look for a specific data base.
    ------------

Very helpful; I hadn't spotted that feature...

Reputation beyond repute

Very helpful; I hadn't spotted that feature..
    You prefer to use the Library Edition of Ancestry. I'm not in a position to check at the moment but I seem to recall that the "old search" is not available in the Library Edition. Perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast