Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    revdfg

Default What happened to William Henry Gutteridge?

I have a birth certificate for Thomas Frederick Gutteridge born 25th July 1874 in Snenton in the Radford District of Nottingham.

His parents are recorded as William Henry Gutteridge and Elizabeth Ann Gutteridge formerly Bell of Victoria Place, Queen Street, Snenton.

Can anyone find
    a. marriage details
    b. census entries for this family?

I will be grateful if anyone can find this family.

Thanks

Mutley

There is a Thomas Frederick Gutteridge born in 1874 in Radford and died the same year.
    Would he be your lad and so not on the 1881 census with his parents?

Mutley

March 1874 Radford
    Elizabeth Ann Bell
    William Henry Guttridge (without an e)

Mutley

Elizabeth Ann Bell born about 1851 in Nottinghamshire lived at Queens Street, Sneinton with her mother Ann born about 1814 in Nottinghamshire in the 1871 census.
    RG10/3504/39/37
    (Records copyright of TNA)

Lizzy9

Hello,

Mutley found a possible death for Thomas.

Could William and Elizabeth have emigrated to Australia? There are records on Ancestry for a William and Elizabeth Gutteridge sailing from Greenock, Scotland to Maryborough, Australia in 1877 on the ship 'Saraca' date of arrival 14/12/1877. William age 36, Elizabeth age 27.

Lizzy9

There was also an Eliza Gutteridge, age 1, on the same ship as William and Elizabeth.

Reputation beyond repute

There was also an Eliza Gutteridge, age 1, on the same ship as William and Elizabeth.
    Looks like you've hit the nail on the head there because....

Births Sep 1875 Gutteridge Eliza Ann Radford 7b 246

Radford is the RD for Sneinton

Mutley

Well done Lizzy,

This might be Elizabeth Ann in 1861?

Born 1851 in Basford the daughter of John Bell born abt 1815, a Lace Maker and Ann born about 1816 in Nottinghamshire.
    Brother Thomas F Bell was born in Radford about 1844.

RG9/2439/39/16
    (Records copyright TNA)

janbooth

To confirm the marriage that Mutley found for you (source Notts FHS Marriage Index):

21 March 1874 at Sneinton St Stephen William Henry GUTTRIDGE & Elizabeth Ann BELL

From Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

11 November 1850 at Basford Elizabeth Ann BELL daughter John & Ann, New Basford, Lace Maker

Could these be siblings:

26 June 1836 at Basford Mary BELL daughter John & Ann, Basford, Bleacher
    27 January 1839 at Basford Noah BELL son John & Ann, Basford, Bleacher
    28 November 1841 at Radford John BELL son John & Ann, Radford, Lacemaker
    3 March 1844 at Radford Thomas Frederick BELL son John & Ann, Radford, Lacemaker
    27 December 1846 at Radford Christ Church William Kirke BELL son John & Ann, Radford, Lacemaker

Janet

revdfg

Very many thanks to you all.
    Emigration to Australia would certainly explain why they seem to disappear from UK records and don't appear in censuses from 1881 onwards. Your notes establish Elizabeth Ann as a Nottingham girl and daughter of John and Ann Bell. But I wonder where William Henry Gutteridge hails from and who were his parents? I can't find him in 1871 census or earlier. Can you help me further?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast