Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bertie

Default Horatio ABBOTT Black Sheep Mystery

I have come to a dead end with Horatio George ABBOTT bap. 22 Jan 1832, Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight and I wonder if someone might come up with some suggestions / ideas, perhaps even some facts!

Brief details: he was a bit of a 'bad 'un' and was in all sorts of brushes with the law since 1850! I have his census whereabout for 1841, 51 and 61. The last I know of him is Oct 1870, where he is sentenced at Winchester to 7 years penal servitude with a 7 years term of police supervision (I assume this is kicks in after his release).

So, I cannot find him in 1871, but I imagine he is in Winchester Gaol (and I presume there are no records), but the strange thing is that I cannot find him at all after Oct 1870 (not even any further convictions): no census, no death and, as far as I can see, no emigration (though I wouldn't rule that out)!

Also, he married in 1867 to Mary SWIFT (but the IoW reference shows she was married, maiden name KNELLAR, though possible all sorts of variants!) and I know she had children, most likely from the marriage to Male SWIFT (this from press reports). I cannot find her at all in 1871 or later (as they married in register office, and I cannot locate her through previous census records I have no idea of her age or place of birth).

There is a chance that he is in Wiltshire in 1901 as George, with wife Mary (where he is shown born 1832, Hampshire) - I don't know if that is him as I don't at present have access to that record, but he is likely the George in 1881 that is born Breamore, Hampshire so it is very likely NOT him

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    The last I know of him is Oct 1870, where he is sentenced at Winchester to 7 years penal servitude with a 7 years term of police supervision
    The Criminal Registers state he was tried at the quarter sessions rather than the assizes. These records are at Hampshire Archives (in Winchester).

So, I cannot find him in 1871
    Have you tried searching with initials only? Many prisoners do not have full names recorded in 1871.

but I imagine he is in Winchester Gaol
    Not necessarily. Longer-term prisoners, which would include 7 year terms, were moved very frequently between prisons. He may have spent only a few weeks (or even days) in Winchester. In practice, he could be anywhere in the country. Eventually he could have been released on licence.

If you can pick up a starting-point from the Calendars of Prisoners (held at Hampshire Archives), you may be lucky enough to track him between prisons in the PCOM and HO series at Kew.

Have a read of the standard research guide to see what is available.

Bertie

Thanks Kerrywood - I did not find anything for 1871 even with just an initial. Your suggestions are helpful, but I am really trying to find him after his release e.g. 1881 census, death, migration or whatever. There is just nothing on him after 1870: that's what I would like to explore

LittleMissP

Looks to me as if he is in Brixton prison in the 1871 census as H Abbott

Class: RG10; Piece: 691; Folio: 54; Page: 23

Bertie

Thanks LittleMissP that is a real help. Does anyone have any later sightings? Still looking for a death, emigration or whatever!

LittleMissP

Could you post details of the 1867 marriage? It would be useful to know details of what exactly it says about wife Mary and also what Horatio's occupation was. Also what are Mary's children called/ how do you know she had children? Can't find any further/ later records at the mo, but will keep looking.

Paula

Bertie

Hi Paula - thanks for your interest. OK, here goes....

Horatio George ABBOTT married Mary SWIFT Q4 1867, I. Wight: the IOWFHS list this record as SWIFT, KNELLAR so I presume she was born Mary KNELLAR (all sorts of possibilities re. spelling incl. NAYLOR I guess). The marriage was a Register Office, so no familysearch details.

Anyway, I can find nothing of her at all: e.g. 1861 census as SWIFT or 1871 as ABBOTT, and I have no idea re. her parents. I assumed she would be on the IoW in 1871 so soon after Horatio's encarceration but it would depend on where her family were located too. I can find no SWIFT / KNELLAR marriage either.

Horatio had a variety of occupations, mainly labourer but was also a Dealer in Marine Stores. He mainly lived in the Northwood area of the island.

Hope this helps to uncover more details!

I know she had children due to a press article dated Jul 1870 where they are mentioned but not named.

LittleMissP

Here is Mary Abbott with her Swift children in 1871:

Class: RG10; Piece: 1159; Folio: 69; Page: 23
    (reference to record held by TNA)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 30-01-2011 at 5:48 PM. Reason: added acknowledgement to TNA

Bertie

Hi Paula - thanks very much. If you could give some more details, I would be very pleased: e.g. her age and location, children names / ages etc. If you can post more that would be great help, but I would be grateful for just enough to enable me to ID and consult the record when I am at a centre with census access in a few weeks' time.

LittleMissP

Mary Abbott, b 1824 Totton, Hampshire
    Walter R Swift, b 1853 Southampton
    Albert H Swift, b 1857 Southampton
    Harry A Swift, b 1861 Southampton
    William T Swift, b 1861 Southampton
    Mary J Swift, b 1864 Millbrook Hampshire

Living in Northwood. Mary is described as married and is working as an umbrella maker.
    (1871 census reference as cited in post #8)

Can't see Mary in 1881 at first glance, but son Walter is easy to find.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 30-01-2011 at 5:52 PM. Reason: note re census reference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast