Loves to help with queries

Default Boyne family from Dublin

I've hit a real 'brickwall' with my Boyne family from Dublin.I can find Michael Joseph Boyne (also called John ) in the 1871 census living in Manchester with his wife Louisa Clarke and their family. They were both born in Dublin as were 2 of their daughters Winifred (c1858) and Elizabeth (c1862). I presume they were married around 1857-58 in Dublin. So far I have found no details about their marriage or the births of the 2 children. They also seem to be missing from the 1881 census. I have tried the Family search pilot and other on-line sites without success. Can anyone help ??

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    I've hit a real 'brickwall' with my Boyne family from Dublin.I can find Michael Joseph Boyne (also called John ) in the 1871 census living in Manchester with his wife Louisa Clarke and their family.
    It took a while to find them, but this the family?

1871: RG10 Piece: 4053 Folio: 145 Page: 54 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    At Dalton Street, Manchester
    BOYNE, Richard [Michael?] head 33, brush maker, b. Dublin
    Lousia wife 32, tailoress, b. Dublin
    Winfred dau 13, b. Dublin
    Elizebeth dau 10, b. Dublin
    Joseph son 7, b. Manchester
    Lousia dau 5, b. Manchester
    Esther dau 2, b. Manchester

Note: both Ancestry and FMP have the heads name as Richard. However, looking at the image, perhaps it's a badly written Michael. Having said that, the last letter does look more like a letter 'd' than a letter 'l'.

They also seem to be missing from the 1881 census.
    I haven't been able to find them in 1881, although I may have picked up some of the children in the later census.

If these are the death records of the parents, one would have thought they would have been in the 1881 census somewhere.

Deaths Sep 1884 Manchester 8d 200
    Boyne Louisa 41

Deaths Jun 1890 Prestwich 8d 326
    Boyne Michael Joseph 48

Do you have these? If so, what addresses were recorded for them?

Perhaps this is daughter Esther in 1891.

1891: RG12 Piece: 3249 Folio: 55 Page: 36
    At 17, Almond Street, Manchester
    KELLY, Mary Ann, head, widow, 59, b. Ireland
    KELLY, John, son 29, warehouse packer, b. Ireland
    KELLY, Leah, dau, 8, b. Manchester
    BOYNE, Esther, niece, 22, milliner dress, b. Manchester

I think she may have married an Edward Taplen later in 1891.

In the 1901 census: RG13 Piece: 3674 Folio: 89 Page: 34
    In the 1911 census: RG14PN23704 RG78PN1378A RD464 SD2 ED3 SN147

No obvious sign of her in 1881 though.

(census records held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 25-01-2011 at 8:58 AM. Reason: TNA acknowledgement added to comply with copyright regulations

Hi Olliecat . You have certainly been very busy ,thank you . All the data you have found is correct, it is the right family. I have tried to find them in the 1881 census and I have tried different spellings for the surname without success. i have recently found 2 'new' Boyne'children on the Lancs opc site that I had not seen before and i'm sure they would have featured in the 1881 census.
    What I would dearly love to find now are records of the family in Dublin , with this being a Catholic family I doubt if there are any civil records(late 1850's and early 1860's) so my best hope are church records , but where to start when you have no idea where in Dublin they were living.
    Thanks once again.

What I would dearly love to find now are records of the family in Dublin, with this being a Catholic family I doubt if there are any civil records(late 1850's and early 1860's) so my best hope are church records , but where to start when you have no idea where in Dublin they were living.
    Irish records are so tricky. I know how you feel since my own gt grandad comes from Dublin. What sites have you tried? For instance, have you looked for records on this site...

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

i have recently found 2 'new' Boyne'children on the Lancs opc site that I had not seen before and i'm sure they would have featured in the 1881 census.

You mentioned Louisa's maiden name was Clarke, I presume you obtained that from one of the children's birth certificates. What were the names of the other two children you found?

I have tried the site you recommended there were some Boyne records but nothing that linked to my Boynes. My G/grandfather Michael Boyne was born in Oct 1871 and the address was 5 Iron St.George.The 2 'new' Boynes i found were Alice born 1876 I obtained her birth cert. and she is definitely from the same family (and the same address 5 Iron St St George) and Amy Boyne . I cannot find a birth record for her. Her marriage record is on Lancs OPC and it gives the same fathers name and occupation , there can't be many John Boynes who are brush makers , so I am pretty certain about her being a family member.
    Louisa Clarke died in 1884 and the address there was 14 Moore St St. George, so I know between 1871 and 1884 they lived in the St George area of Manchester.Perhaps if i trawl theough the records I might be lucky?

Lindajane

I know they say in the census that Joseph Boyne is born in England but he is baptised in Ireland.
    Church of St. Nicholas

Born 2 Dec 1863 and christened 4 Dec 1863, St. Nicholas Church, Dublin Parents Michael Boyne and Louisa Clarke.
    Their address is 38 Mill Street.
    Witnesses George Lawlow and Alice Ivory.

Here is the link
    https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../de220c0334824

Lindajane

Default PS

Also you couldn't find Winifred because their name has been mistranscribed as "Bayne".

She was born 23rd May 1858 and baptsied the 26 May 1858 in St. Nicholas.

The address is 17 Brabazon Street. Witnesses John Headon and Winifred Clare (Clarke). This is a great clue. Winifred is not a common name and she has obviously been named after this Winifred Clarke sponsor.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../2931b40314742

My suspicion for Elizabeth is an entry in St. Catherines parish for Elizabeth Ryan.
    If you look at the original page you will see how it can actually be Boyne.
    The parents are Michael and Lucy Clarke.

The address is 4 Maddens Place. Date of birth 19 July 1861.
    The sponsor is Catherine Doyle.

I can't find their marriage yet but generally speaking a marriage from the 1850s rarely offers information about the parents.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../efb15b0115236

Hope this helps!

Hi Lindajane
    Thank you so much for taking the time to look for these records. Since I last corresponded on this topic i had found the 2 birth records you mentioned ,they must have been added since I first looked at this site. I also noticed the 'Winifred ' connection and wondered if Winifred Clare was really Winifred Clarke , Louisa's sister ?
    I was really pleased to find Josephs baptism record as I had thought he was born in Manchester , so I was a little disappointed not to have found Elizabeths birth record. I have looked at the original records as you recommended and think you might be right the name could be 'Boyne'.
    The parents would have been quite young when the eldest child Winifred was born in 1858,Michael was born C1842 and Louisa C1843, I wonder if they would have been allowed to marry so young ?