Donald NZ

Default Duncan McMillan, born abt. 1848 at Bellochantuy

I am searching for any information on Duncan McMillan, born abt. 1848 at Bellochantuy, Argyllshire, Scotland.
    Duncan died 21 February 1928 in Gisborne, New Zealand
    Married Elizabeth Michieson, born 23 January 1851 at Newcastle, Northumberland, England.
    Elizabeth died 18 June 1944 in Gisborne, New Zealand.

The settlement of Bellochantuy is located on the Kintyre peninsula of Argyll and Bute, lying at the southern extreme of Bellochantuy Bay, 9 miles(15 km) north west of Campbeltown.
    Duncan travelled to New Zealand prior to 1877 and before he became 27 years of age.

It would be great to locate another researcher of the same family.
    Donald NZ

janeygee

HI DONALD;
    I have McMillan ancestors from Argyll,but I am wondering about your connection to the
    village of Bellochantuy, I have McSporran,Brolachlan,ancestors from the village,the
    Brolachlan's had large farm holdings and were merchants in Campbeltown,(Butcher's)

Do any of these names figure in your McMillan line,,?? My original McMillan married a
    'Ramsay',,,,,

Best wishes;
    Janey;

Quote Originally Posted by Donald NZ View Post
    I am searching for any information on Duncan McMillan, born abt. 1848 at Bellochantuy, Argyllshire, Scotland.
    Duncan died 21 February 1928 in Gisborne, New Zealand
    Married Elizabeth Michieson, born 23 January 1851 at Newcastle, Northumberland, England.
    Elizabeth died 18 June 1944 in Gisborne, New Zealand.

The settlement of Bellochantuy is located on the Kintyre peninsula of Argyll and Bute, lying at the southern extreme of Bellochantuy Bay, 9 miles(15 km) north west of Campbeltown.
    Duncan travelled to New Zealand prior to 1877 and before he became 27 years of age.

It would be great to locate another researcher of the same family.
    Donald NZ

Have you looked for Duncan in the 1851 and 1861 census? He should be reasonably easy to pinpoint in the 1851 - people were more accurate about the ages on their children than about their own ages. This would give you his father's name and occupation, mother's forename and their birth parish(es). I can see 4 Duncan McMillans baptised the parish (Killean & Kilchenzie) in 1846, and at least one born in late 1845 - the fun will be sorting which is yours. What name did he give his oldest son?

Do you know where he and Elizabeth married? I can't see any possibles in Scotland, or on FreeBMD for England. That marriage certificate would be VERY useful! Do NZ death certificates give the parental names?

Lesley