Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    PeterTomlinson

Default Researching Thomas Lane Burrows

I have an extract from a handwritten family tree for "Thomas Burrows, eldest son of Wm Burrows baptized at Plymouth in 1803 married Miss Coombe in 1824, has a family one son and two daughters"
    I know his father was baptized at Milton Abbott in 1782, and his mother was Elizabeth Lane, and they were married in "White Church" (Whitchurch?) "in 1802, having 3 sons & 3 daughters".
    I have found Thomas Burrows' death record and received a copy of it, which contains the following information: Died: Tenth December 1886 Workhouse
    Name: Thomas Lane Burrows
    Sex: Male
    Cause of death: Paralysis certified by FA Thomas LRCP
    Informant: E G Dyke, Master Workhouse, Plymouth
    Death Registered: 25th December 1886
    Registrar: RG Bird

But beyond this, I cannot find any real trace of him. There is an entry in the 1881 census that might be him, at 13 Granby St, Plymouth, (and it says he is a gardener, as on death cert) but his wife Emily is too young to be the "Miss Coombe" he married in 1824, as she was not born until 6 years after that wedding date!

Can anyone help shed any light on his life, his wife (or wives) and most importantly, details of his children?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Pete
    Last edited by PeterTomlinson; 20-01-2011 at 8:42 PM. Reason: typo

pennydog

Could this be a second marriage? I have traced this Thomas back through the censuses, with Emily in 1871 but in 1861 he appears with his daughter Ruth and is a widower. In 1851 he is with wife Ann R born Horrabridge Devon 1801, with daughters Ruth and Emma.

Would you like me to post the other censuses or are you able to check them youself?

pennydog

There is a marriage of in Newton Abbot of a Thomas Burrows and on the same page is Emily Line Striplin. Sept qtr 1868 5b267

On the 1871 census RG10/2086/73/41 (crown copyright/care of TNA) Thomas Burrows and Emily L Burrows are living in Union Lane Lower Tormoham Torquay, his occupation is gardener.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Perhaps this is his second marriage ...

Marriages Sep 1868 Newton A 5b 267
    Burrows Thomas
    Fairchild Margaret Sanders
    Striplin Emily Line
    Westaway William Lacey

If it's the same Thomas in the 1851 census with wife Ann then she has a middle initial R and he is a widower in 1861.

Perhaps this is her death ...

Deaths Dec 1857 Plymouth 5b 164
    Burrows Ann Reeve

PeterTomlinson

Thanks for this. I had not followed up on the 1861 census, as the implied date of birth (1801) seemed too far away from the actual (1803). But revisiting it, I see the address is Looe St, which tallies with the info on the Death Cert I have just received, so that does indeed look like him. That in turn supports the 1851 census, which I had similarly rejected for a similarly inaccurate dob.
    For some reason I am not finding him in the 1871 census - not sure what I am doing wrong! I will try a few variations, or maybe enter her and start from there!
    Thanks so much for the assistance. A simple nudge like that has cleared a log jam!

Now if I can just find the son, who is the missing link.............

Lizzy9

Hi,

Here's the census ref for 1871, RG10 Piece 2086 Folio 73 Page 41 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

What is his son's name and approx year of birth?

Hmm, where are they in 1841? Can eliminate the Thomas and Ann Burrows with child Emma and other children in Axminster, since they are also in the 1851 census in Axminster. Will keep looking.

pennydog

Could this be them HO107-223-8-10 (crown copyright/care of TNA)?

Thomas Burrow, wife Ann both 1802 and children Thomas 15, Ann 10, Richard 8, Elizabeth 4. Thomas is an Ag Lab.

Address Bus Cottage, Clovelly.

Could this be Thomas's previous marriage? Perhaps Emma is Ann's child or Thomas's from an earlier marriage?

Marriages Jun 1845 Plymouth 9 454
    Burrows Thomas
    Edmonds Henry
    Jarvis Eliza
    Jose William
    Manning Elizabeth
    Northcott William Thomas
    Northmore Ann Reeve
    Toms Elizabeth

Just spotted an Ann Northmore with child Emma in the 1841 census in Plymouth ...

HO107 Piece: 269 Book/Folio: 20 Page: 34

Haven't had time to look at it properly. Must pop out for 5 mins - will look when I get back.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast