Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Possibly John Eldridge's christening record. From the census he is consistent about his birth palce of Shorwell abt. 1811.

name: John Elderidge
    baptism/christening date: 12 May 1811
    baptism/christening place: Shorwell, Hampshire, England
    birthplace: Shorwell, Hampshire, England
    father's name: James Elderidge
    mother's name: Frances
    (from family search)

Quote Originally Posted by wjebill View Post
    He married Evelina (?)Abela in Malta (1909?), their daughter Ruth Mary was born in Sliema in 1910.
    I'm wondering about this marriage now. Do you have any more details?

Bertie

James and Frances Elderidge look as though they had children from as early as 1788 in Shorwell

Bertie

There is a poss. marriage: James Eldridge to Frances Fry 27 Oct 1786, Gatcombe (film: 973003)

Well there is a possible marriage for a James Elderidge to a Frances Fry in 1786 - but wouldn't like to push it so far so fast.

Bertie

BTW it's amazing to have a grandfather (i.e. just two generations away) born in the 1840s!!! Having a child in 1910 too!! Quite something!

wjebill

Default Thanks to Bertie and Olliecat

Thank you both for your very prompt responsesand comments regarding my requests for information about my grandfather, Frank Eldridge. I was excited to get your information. My apologies for not having replied sooner! I haven't as yet had time to take my research any further, but I will most certainly do so as soon as possible. I'll let you know my progress.

Thanks again
    wjebill

Quote Originally Posted by wjebill View Post
    Thank you both for your very prompt responsesand comments regarding my requests for information about my grandfather, Frank Eldridge. I was excited to get your information.
    Glad we could help.

wjebill, before I forget, the reason I asked about the marriage was this. The date of marriage Frank Eldridge gave in his military record was 1878 in Malta, to a Catherine Abella. I looked for a marriage in the indexes...

• Eldridge Frank Malta 1877-78 1141
    • Eldridge Frank Malta 1877-78 1147
    (GRO CHAPLAINS RETURNS MARRIAGES)

This could be the same marriage - indexed twice. I couldn't find a corrosponding entry in the index for a Catherine Abella. If at some point you decide you want to obtain the marriage certificate, then you can order it through the GRO.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,

A couple of websites that might be of use to you

www.
    your-family-history.com/e/eldridge-family-history.php

https://
    genforum.genealogy.com/eldridge.

Have you tried the IWFHS? - there are a number of members who are researching the Eldridge family. I have nine people named Eldridge in my own family tree who were born in Niton but sadly not your relative although it would not surprose me to learn that we were relate albeit distantly.

Regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 15-02-2011 at 3:28 PM. Reason: direct links to 2 sites containing advertising - please read the AUP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12