mellybean

Default inspector at colchester head post office

Hello im trying to find out a bit more about my great grandad Arthur Wass born 1877 in colchester worked at the post office in colchester since 1923 doing different roles through his 46 years in the post office i have been past down the certifcate for the imperial service medel but not the medel can i get a copy of one also i understand his father worked at the post office aswell im trying to find out about that mr wass also.
    Thank you
    melly bean

Geoffers

You may be able to find appointments in the Post Office in the London Gazette - the award of the medal may appear there too. He is certainly shown as a postman in census returns - see RG13/1708 f31 p22 and also RG14/10309 SN172 (references to census in the care of TNA).

Directories (Post Office, Kelly's) may also show him as a postman/postmaster in the area where he lived.

There are companies who produce reproduction and miniature medals (they turn up with a search engine), they may be able to supply you with a copy.

i understand his father worked at the post office aswell im trying to find out about that mr wass also.
    Marriage and birth certificates for Arthur WASS will provide you with his dad's name and occupation and give you something to work on either by searching census returns and/or the London Gazette.

mellybean

Hi Geoffers,
    Thank you very much looking into my inquiry i will be following it up, many thanks again.
    Mellybean

Starting to feel at home

Default UK Post Office Appointments

If you don't get any joy from your current searching I see that A******y are currently 88% through their UK Post Office appointment books project which should span the years 1831-1969 showing names, places and dates of GPO/Post Office/Royal Mail appointments.

Presumably you will have to pay to view (incl. VAT at 20% if you are lucky enough to live in the UK!).

Ray

mellybean

Hi Raymond,
    Thank you for your help i will look at the post office appointments.
    Cheers Mellybean

Jan1954

Hello Mellybean,

Have you seen the British Postal Museum and Archive website? There is masses of information therein, as well as staff records that include pensions and appointments.

postalheritage.org.uk/ (put https:// in front)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Arthur Wass is my gg grandfather also. My mother says he was an orphan who came over from Europe as a baby. All the records I have lightly touched on ( free) find him as born in Colchester and he's there age 3 in the census. He went to the Blue Coat School at Mile End for impoverished children. His daughter (my grandmother ) also worked as a postmisstress here in NZ for over 20 years.