fitzjohn

Default Black & Tan killing

My mother Ellen Cunningham was born in Carrick-on-Suir in 1910. She used to tell a story about a relative of hers (a child) who was shot on their doorstep by the Black & Tans. The hair of the mother of this child turned white overnight due to the shock. An aunt also told this story or a version of it to her children. Newspaper searches have so far not been successful in turning up any reports of this event. I would very much like to find out more about this story and name(s) of these relatives, the surnames could possibly be Curran, Fahy or Cunningham.

Mutley

Welcome to the forum.
    I would say this one is almost impossible, at this time, to confirm.

There were many atrocities committed on both sides and I doubt they were all recorded.

You could try checking the 1911 Irish census (it is free, google for it) to find your mother and check for her neighbours to see if there were children of the right age and name living close by. Due to the civil war there was not a 1921 census, the 1926 census would probably not help as the child would have been born and died between 1911-1926.

There may be some cemetery reports of the burial of a child. I don't know if this site might give you some ideas.
    www.
    igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/tipperary/index.htm

fitzjohn

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I am no closer to finding the answers I am searching for. However, I did find the web-site you gave me interesting. Best wishes, fitzjohn