Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Well before you decide - could look for the married Florence in the census - see if it's likely to be her.

1891: RG12 / 3193 / f45 / p1
    Florence A Yates in Manchester with husband William and lots of children. Age 35. Born Lambeth.
    Note: her age does look like 35 on the image, although there is a line across it.

1901: RG13 / 3698 / f176 / p49.
    Florence A Yates in Manchester with her children. Age 35. Born Lambeth.

I guess this is her birth ...

Births Sep 1863 Lambeth 1d 259
    BELLEW Florence Alexandra

Gosh you're good! thank you for all that. certainly something to think about
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

There is also a christening record for Louisa Millman.

Louisa Millman bap. on 14 Mar 1841 at Camberwell Christ Church, Southwark. Born 21st Feb 1841. Father James Millman, carpenter. Mother Mary Ann Millman. Abode Shards Square New Peckham

She is also in the 1841 census with her parents ...

HO107 / Piece 1052 Book/Folio: 5/52 Page: 19

Anyway, a little bit more for you to think about.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    You're quite right Olliecat. Given the occupation I think it's a safe bet that John and William are related. I still can't find a marriage though for John and Jane.

It's certainly puzzling. Maybe William went off to live with Louisa and Jane set up home with John. Neither would have been free to (legally) remarry which might explain why there are no marriage records
    There is a marriage for a John BELLEW and a Jane DAWSON (widower and widow) on Ancestry, on 26.07.1868, St. George, Bloomsbury. John is an engineer - father John BELLEW, artificial flower maker. Both bride and groom are living at 12 Arthur Street. Jane's father is given as Thomas JONES, mariner.

The marriage of William Henry and Jane in 1850 is also on Ancestry - 26?.12.1850. Both give address as Andrew Road. William H is a batchelor and Jane a spinster. William's father is John BELLEW deceased and Jane's father is Thomas DAWSON, mariner.

FreeBMD has a death of a William Henry BELLEW (age 41) in the Dec Q 1867, Lambeth 1d 200.

Ladkyis,

If the family you found in 1871 (RG10/654/55/5) is your Louise/Louisa with Florence, William and James, then I think James and Louisa died in 1874. FreeBMD has the following deaths: Louisa BELLEW (29) Dec Q 1874, St. Saviour; James Frank BELLEW (6) Jun Q 1874, St. Saviour.

I looked for William and found in 1881 (RG11/2152/29/8) 19 Magdalen Street, Exeter, a William BELLEW born 1866 Lambeth - Apprentice Baker, and wondered if he had gone to Exeter as that was where Florence was. I think this is confirmed by the following British Army Service Records on FMP: William BELLEW, born Lambeth. Joined the Devonshire Regiment in Exeter on 03.11.1882, aged 18 years 9 months. Trade: Baker. Next of Kin given as Florence YATES, Exeter Devon.

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

You have dislodged a memory! As I read your message I could hear my grandmother telling me that her mother was an orphan from the age of about 14. She was "in service" although I have no idea where, when she got the news that her mother was ill. I am really reaching back to childhood now because my granny only told me the story once.

I think that next month's pocket money is going to go on certificates. Oh heck I am going to have to go through the cupboards again to see what I can sell on eBay - I have enough junk.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Looking good so far then (fingers crossed). Need to somehow confirm who your GG Grandmother was. I have looked everywhere for a marriage, but with William Henry's wife Jane waiting until he died before she married his brother, it looks as though there won't be one. It will be interesting to see who registered Louisa's death in 1874 - did her daughter return from Exeter, or maybe a parent or sibling registered the death?

Best get on and have a rummage through the cupboards

Good find with the military record Jellylegs.

Ladykiss, I don't know if you want any more, but I wanted to find Louise in 1861, so I thought I'd look at her siblings - in case she was staying. Anyway, I couldn't find her but picked up a few bits and pieces....

In the 1841 census there are two siblings with Louise ...

1841: HO107 Piece: 1052 Book/Folio: 5/52 Page: 19
    Pleasant Row, St Giles Camberwell, Lambeth
    MILLMAN, James 40, carpenter
    MILLMAN, Mary 35
    MILLMAN, Emma 18
    MILLMAN, James 7
    MILLMAN, Louisa 3 mo, born Surrey

Looking through christenings records (from the Devon FHS)

• Mary Ann Alford Millman bap. on 14 May 1820 at St Paul, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Joiner. Abode Pancras Lane
    • Emma Risdon Millman bap. on 25 Aug 1822 at St Paul, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Carpenter. Abode Pancrass St
    • Charlotte Millman bap. on 10 Jun 1827 at St Paul, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Joiner. Abode Pancrass St
    • Burial of Charlotte Millman on 15 Jun 1828 at St Paul, Exteter. Age 3
    • Eliza Millman bap. on 30 Sep 1827 at St Paul, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Carpenter. Abode Paul Street
    • William Henry Millman bap. on Date: 13 Dec 1829 at Holy Trinity, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Joiner. Abode Magdalen Street
    • James Millman bap. on 22 Apr 1832 at Holy Trinity, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Joiner. Abode Magdalen Street
    • Alfred John Milman bap. on 29 Jan 1837 at Holy Trinity, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Joiner. Abode Magdalen Street
    • George Millman bap. on 24 May 1839 at St Sidwell, Exeter. Parents James and Mary Ann. Occupation Carpenter. Abode Clifton Road

In the census, the mother Mary Ann was born 1806 in the 1841 census and 1811 in the 1851 census. She would be young for this following marriage although the maiden name matches middle name of the first child.

• Marriage of James Millman and Mary Ann Alford on 12 Sep 1819 at Alphington, Devon

Of course, Louisa's birth record would have her mum's maiden name but the only birth record I could find was ..

Birth Mar 1841
    Millman Female Lambeth 4 231
    Millman Female Lambeth 4 251
    (Haven't checked the page number on the scan)

Perhaps this is her brother

Birth Jun 1839 Exeter 10 103
    Millman George

There is also a burial record for Louisa's father James (same address as the family in the 1851 census) ...

• Burial of James Millman on 2 Jul 1847 at Lambeth St Mary. Age 46. Abode: Upper Marsh

Also on Louisa's siblings - I thought I'd double check that some of those children baptised above in Devon ended up in the Lambeth area, (in case it was just a coincidence of names.)

One Sibling ...

Marriage on 12 Jul 1846 at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth.
    Thomas Harrup, full age, bachelor, leather dresser, Cornwall Road, father Francis Harrup, gardener
    Emma Risdon Millman, spinster, full age, Cornwall Road, father James Millman, carpenter

I looked for them in the census but couldn't find them. Then I found this ...

• Thomas Henry Harrup bap. 8 Aug 1847 at Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene. Parents Thomas and Emma Risdon Harrup
    • Burial of Emma Risdon Harrup on 18 Sep 1849 at Bermondsey St James, Southwark. Abode Brook Street, Old Kent Road. Age 26.

Next Sibling ...

Marriage on 28 May 1855 at St Mary at Lambeth
    James Millman, full, bachelor, carpenter, Walnut Tree Place, father James Millman dec^d, Carpenter
    Mary Ann Heather, full, spinster, Walnut Tree Place, father George Heather, bricklayer

James and Mary Ann are in the 1861 census but I couldn't see Louise with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast