Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I think the William Bellow in the 1861 census may also be in the 1851 census - but he's married to a Jane.

1851: Class: HO107; Piece: 1571; Folio: 553; Page: 3
    That's correct. As I said, he's in one of my trees. He married Jane DAWSON at Holy Trinity Newington in 1850.

Although he thought he was born in Lambeth, William Henry was actually born in Holborn. He was the son of John BELLEW and Susanna BURGES (married Bloomsbury 1821).

The BELLEW family were mostly artificial flower makers in Lambeth/Southwark.
    In 1841 they're in Gibson Street, HO107/1061-8 folio 48r (reference to record held by TNA)

I suspect Louisa MILLMAN is going to be more of a problem.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I can see her also, but she is listed as a visitor to Henry Bridger, though her occupation is general servant it is not clear if she is Henry's servant or visiting him and a servant elsewhere.

I think this is her, as I believe she went on to marry Harry Bridger who is also there and part of Ladkyis' tree.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Maybe a typo, should be page 16, I think.
    Clearly I'm a bit slow tonight, I see this has aleady been mentioned, sorry.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Clearly I'm a bit slow tonight, I see this has aleady been mentioned, sorry.
    Doesn't matter Lizzie. You highlighted the different page number properly, whereas I just skipped over it.

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    It then becomes less clear as I found this Jane Bellew with the same birth year in 1861

Bellew John 68 Engineer
    Bellew Jane Wife 31
    Bellew John Son 12
    All born London

RG09/352/28/page 8 Crown Copyright TNA

I wonder if the enumerator misunderstood and Jane was John's son's wife. There's certainly a big age gap
    It's a bit smudged on the image but do you think John's age was 38 rather than 68?

Perhaps this is John and Jane later on?

1871: RG10/ 657 / f78 / p42
    In Lambeth.
    John Bellen [Bellew] 47, Engine Fitter, born Middx
    Jane Bellen 37, born Middx
    Sarah Benndt 30

1881: RG11 / 130 / f80 / p5
    In St Anne Soho.
    John Bellew 56, Engine Fitter, born London
    Jane Bellew 48, born London

1891: RG12; / 121 / f73 / p64
    At Tottenham Court.
    John Bellen 58, Surgical Instrument Maker, born London
    Jane Bellen 50, born London

1901: RG13 / 499 / f79 / p6
    In Camberwell.
    John Bellew 78, Surgical Instrument Maker, born Bloomsbury
    Jane Bellew 67, born Whitechapel

(all census crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Perhaps John and William are related.
    Would be nice to find John and Jane together in 1851 - to clear up suspicions (so to speak).

OK so I wrote the message, subscribed to the thread and went to bed. I checked my email early this morning and there were no notifications. I completed the essential domestic stuff and then rewarded myself with a quick visit to BG - 18 replies! good grief! what happened to the notifications I wonder? Now to answer some of the queries

Yes it should be page 16, sorry about that.

Louise Emma was born 27 August 1861. 35, Lambeth Square. Registered 1st October, Sub-district Waterloo Road Second.
    Father William Henry BELLEW mother Louise BELLEW formerly Millman.

In 1881 she is a visitor in the home of William Gatlind (Gatland). Mary Gatland is the mother of Harry BRIDGER - she had remarried - and Harry BRIDGER married Louise Emma later in 1881 and they are my Great Grandparents.

I think it is highly probably that William Bellew and Louise Millman were not married, no matter what was written on the birth certificate, simply because William is not with her (or she is not with him) on the 1861 Census even though the baby was due in a month or two.
    I can't find her as Louise MILLMAN either, but as I have said I am not good at this lateral thinking and hpeless at searching.

I think I might have her on the 1871, again without William but with a shoeful of children, although Louise Emma is not with this Louise BELLEW RG10 /654 F55 P5. Her condition is unclear.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Do you think this might be Louise Millman in 1851 ...

1851: HO107 / 1571 / f507 / p28 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    At Upper Marsh, Lambeth
    MILLMAN, Ann, head, widow, 40, Milliner, Exeter, Devonshire
    MILLMAN, James, son, unmarried, 18, Light Porter, Exeter Devonshire
    MILLMAN, Louisa, dau, 10, Old Kent Road
    GARDINER, James, visitor, unmarried, 18, Blacksmith, Lambeth Surrey

Ooh, it could be! I can't check on the marriage certificate cos I don't have one and can't find one but wouldn't that be good?

the Louise Bellew I found in 1971 has a duaghter called Florence Alex. I think I might try to find a marriage for her and see if she has the same father....
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    the Louise Bellew I found in 1971 has a duaghter called Florence Alex. I think I might try to find a marriage for her and see if she has the same father....

Could this be her in Exeter?

1881: RG11 / 2150 / f129 p41 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    70, Blk Bay Road, Exeter St Sidwe, Devonshire
    BELLOW, Florence A Servant Single 18 Domestic Serv, born Lambeth

She is with a family of Hancock's

Marriages Dec 1881 Exeter 5b 214
    Balson James
    BELLEW Florence Alexandra
    Earle Emma
    Yates William

ok so according to FMP Florence Alexandra Bellew got married in 1881 in Exeter! Now I have to decide whether I fork out a lot of money for a certificate that might not be my family or do I sit here not knowing because I am to tight fisted,

ho hum said Pooh

Decisions, decisions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast