Thread: Garrett 1891

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ewan

Default Garrett 1891

Would anyone be kind enough to post the details of an Alice Garrett born 1863 Hampshire living in the Christchurch registration district please?

I am looking for an Alice Emily Garrett or Emily Alice Garrett born 1863 to the parents of John and Sarah Garrett after the 1881 census. She was registered as Emily Alice but is on the 1881 census with her cousin Rosa Tutton as Alice Emily.

Many thanks as always.
    Ewan

Nicolina

the Alice (born Whitchurch, Hampshire) on the 1891 Census is the wife of Thomas R. GARRETT, so she cannot be yours.

ewan

Nicolina, sorry for the delay in replying to your reply. Thank you for checking the entry for me, as you say cannot be mine, the hunt goes on.

Many thanks
    Ewan

Geoffers

Have you been able to discount the 1888 marriage in Lewes of Alice Emaline Garrett?

ewan

Geoffers that could be her, Emaline could be a spin off from the name Emily although I am not sure about that.

I am now looking for the 1891 or 1901 census trying to find who Alice Emaline married, but at the moment I can't find census details with Alice stated as being born in Ryde/Isle of Wight, but saying that birthplaces and birth years aren't always set in stone?

Many thanks for your help.
    Ewan

Reputation beyond repute

I am now looking for the 1891 or 1901 census trying to find who Alice Emaline married, but at the moment I can't find census details with Alice stated as being born in Ryde/Isle of Wight, but saying that birthplaces and birth years aren't always set in stone?
    Tip - search for the husband

TNA RG 12/797 f 112 p 24

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Have you been able to discount the 1888 marriage in Lewes of Alice Emaline Garrett?
    I can safely rule out the lady above as she is on the 1901 census in Sussex but now living with her mum.

So I am still searching for the lady I mentioned at the beginning of my thread.

Ewan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    I can safely rule out the lady above as she is on the 1901 census in Sussex but now living with her mum.
    So I am still searching for the lady I mentioned at the beginning of my thread.
    Curses

Any luck searching the census just by initials - A.G or E.G - in case she was in some form of institution.

If your lass popped her clogs - in the GRO index, there are a few hundred deaths of unknown females between 1881 and 1891. You might check to see if any are of the right approximate age and in the right area of the country. Try using freebmd, in the surname enter - unknown; in the forename enter - female.

She may have mrried just under the name Alice GARRETT, or Emily GARRETT (or variant spelling) - any of these in the Isle of Wight, or Hampshire? You might then trying to eliminate these in census returns.

Coming from the Isle of Wight - I wonder if she might have married a soldier? Unfortunately only the Army Chaplains Returns are indexed and searchable; The Regimental Registers of marriages are not indexed and so you may find difficulty.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

A 18 Sept 1883 I o W newspaper notice that Emily Alice Garrett 3rd daughter of John & Sarah Garrett married J. R. Wray in London
    On 26 Nov 1911 Emily Alice Cox widower marries Robert Dunston a retired farmer. I am replying to a 9 year old post but I am hopeful that someone can provide more info on my great aunt Emily Alice. My gran Ada Harriett Brett nee Garrett visited her sister Alice in 1913. I am confident she married Robert Dunston