Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrett 1891

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan View Post
    I did a search of the GRO index of deaths there were two in 1883, one in 1887, one in 1888 all in the registration district of the Isle of Wight, unfortunately the record does not give an age at death.
    Do also check unknown deaths across the solent in case an unknown female body floated ashore in Portsmouth or Gosport

The main hope in finding these entries is that there may possibly be a corresponding mention in a local newspaper, either of your lass going missing, or the circumstnaces of a body being found.

I have been looking at possible marriages and then trying to 'marry' them up in censuses, I started by trying to find the birthplace as Ryde but there are so many. I also searched the 1891 census using just the initial 'A' and then just 'E' born the Isle of Wight.
    All worthwhile, even if only for the purposes of elimination.

The only other option is to search emigration records.
    Remembering that outward passenger lists don't really begin until 1890 - see this research guide, especially paragraph 3.2

Mutley

Sorry I cannot find her for certain. It is annoying seeing as Rosa is easy to see marrying Francis Calpine and Alice did not stay with her again.

I did a double take at the Alice born 1862 in Ryde married to a John Phillips because staying with them was an Edward James Tuffin, sounded like Tutton but there is not a corresponding Garrett/Phillips marriage to prove it.

ewan

Thanks Geoffers for your comments again, I will continue checking deaths, that is an interesting point regarding unknown deaths, but unfortunately I would not be able to travel to the related record office to look at newspaper reports to follow up missing persons information.

As mentioned before, I do believe the process of elimination is just as important as finding the correct person in research, so I quite agree with what you have said.

Thanks Mutley, yes it is annoying with the fact that she was with her cousin Rosa in 1881 but just disappears after that. Yes she could of married, that would be another big task in trying to find her. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to look at Alice born 1862 in Ryde married to a John Phillips, could quite easily have been an Edward James Tutton staying with them, I too could not find a Garrett - Phillips marriage, I did find a marriage of an Alice Tayler in 1887 IOW to a John Phillips though.

Many many thanks for your help.

Ewan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    unfortunately I would not be able to travel to the related record office to look at newspaper reports to follow up missing persons information.
    Why not try from the comfort of your own home. See the British Library Newspaper collection

https://
    newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

..........or give your nearest large library a call and ask if they have a subscription?

..........or try The Times see

https://
    archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol/archive/

nothing ventured, nothing gained

ewan

I have found a few useful pieces of information from the British Library collection so I will have a gander through them for any mention of suitable missing persons. At the moment though I do have a few more Alice Emilys ? from the Isle of Wight to go through to see where they were on censuses but I will bear your suggestions in mind Geoffers. Thanks again for your time and interest with this.

Ewan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

A 18 Sept 1883 I o W newspaper notice that Emily Alice Garrett 3rd daughter of John & Sarah Garrett married J. R. Wray in London
    On 26 Nov 1911 Emily Alice Cox widower marries Robert Dunston a retired farmer. I am replying to a 9 year old post but I am hopeful that someone can provide more info on my great aunt Emily Alice. My gran Ada Harriett Brett nee Garrett visited her sister Alice in 1913. I am confident she married Robert Dunston

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12