Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Jane Treloar, born 1887 Stithians, Cornwalll

The young lady named above has been found in the 1891 census. She has been enumerated as the grand-daughter of John and Elizabeth Odgers.

John and Elizabeth had at least 8 children [1 of whom is an integral part of my Odgers tree].

2 of the 8 were daughters and neither appears to have married a Mr. Treloar. This leaves 6 sons. 1 died in early 1887 and is the father-in-law of my grand aunt and died age 29.

Another son, died in 1863 so he doesn't factor into the equation. Yet another son died in 1871. We are left with 3 sons, alive as of 1887, when the birth of Jane was registered. There names were Zacharias born 1867, John born 1872 and Simon William born 1873.

John and Simon William are with the parents in 1891, but I can't find Zacharias. John died in 1893 and didn't marry. He would have been 15 or so when Jane was born. Simon was younger.

This leads to believe Zacharias is the father. The only registration I can find is in Redruth district [which covers Stithians] Apr.-Jun. 1887. The name indicated is Lily Jane Treloar. If this is correct, then who was her mother and what happened to Zacharias?

I cannot find Stithians Parish Records on-line so assistance please would be appreciated

Colin

Lizzy9

Maybe one of the daughters was widowed and later married a Mr Treloar. Do you know who the daughters married; have you found them on census returns?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Maybe one of the daughters was widowed and later married a Mr Treloar. Do you know who the daughters married; have you found them on census returns?
    The 2 daughters were:
    Grace E. - born 1861
    Bessie J. - born 1863 - may havee been named Elizabeth and known as Bessie.

As I said, the girl [Jane] was born 1887.

I have yet to find them [with the right age and mother] in 1891 or 1901. No marriage for either in the period 1878-1886 on Free BMD.

I had found a marriage in Redruth in 1903 for a Grace Odgers to either Thomas Henry Knuckey or William Paul. Notrhing has shown up for Bessie.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Colin, does the name Hitchens mean anything to you?

From Family Search Beta

Jane Hitchens Trelore
    Bapt. 29 Mar 1887
    Place: Hayle, Cornwall
    Father: Thomas Trelore
    Mother: Jane Hitchens
    Indexing Project: 104635-8
    Source Film No. 1796108
    Hi Graham.
    The name "Hitchens" means 'diddley-squat' to me.

But, thanks for trying.

Lizzy9

It is possible Grace died in 1880, or have you found her in 1881? If this is Grace, then obviously she can be discounted as Jane's mother.

Grace Ellen Odgers, birth year about 1865, died 3rd qrt 1880, reg Redruth, 5c/150

Lizzy9

There's a Bessie Treloar born right time and place on the 1891 census, she's married and living with her inlaws, I think her husband is James. The marriage index on freebmd has a James Treloar married Dec qrt 1883, Redruth 5c/424, the index has two grooms, only one bride, maybe the missing bride is Bessie?

1891, Redruth. RG12 Piece 1846 Folio 94 Page 5 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Susan Treloar 52
    James Treloar 28
    Nanny Treloar 34
    Sr. Susan Treloar 27
    Bessie Treloar 28
    Gertrude Treloar 7
    Gladys Treloar 3

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    There's a Bessie Treloar born right time and place on the 1891 census, she's married and living with her inlaws, I think her husband is James. The marriage index on freebmd has a James Treloar married Dec qrt 1883, Redruth 5c/424, the index has two grooms, only one bride, maybe the missing bride is Bessie?
    I think the missing bride is Elizabeth Eddy. Shown on FreeBMD by one transcriber as being on page 421, whilst another transcriber says either page 421 or 424. I think it's 424.
    Pam

Gill Hart

Colin,

Janie (sic) Treloar is still living with her grandmother Elizabeth Odgers (now widowed) in 1901 and is shown as a Farm Servant aged 14. They are living at Penhalvean, Stithians.

There is a Bessie Medlyn aged 37 living next door - could she be your Bessie? Husband is John Medlyn aged 45, a roper.

For future reference, there is an OPC site for Stithians https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....~stithiansopc/ but I couldn't find a baptism for Jane.

Hope this helps
    Gill

OPC - St Erme and St Clement, Cornwall - https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gillh/
    Parish Reconstruction on St Erme, St Allen, Perranzabuloe, St Clement, Newlyn East, Probus, Merther, Ladock, St Enoder, Kea, Kenwyn, Truro, Philleigh, Ruan Lanihorne and St Agnes
    OPC - Lockington, Kegworth, Castle Donington, Leicestershire

Colin Rowledge

I haven't had a chance to view this thread until a day ago. I thank everyone for posting comments to it and will see what develops

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Hi Gill.
    I looked at the Medlyn family next door and Bessie in particular. Bessie has the right age. There are 3 kids there aged 15, 13 and 1 which is interesting?

I found a marriage for John Medlyn to a Bessie Blamey in Redruth in 1885 so the older kids could very well be hers. Haven't found a death for a Bessie Medlyn but could she have left John and he 'hooked' up with my Bessie which could account for newest addition and he was just passing this Bessie off as his spouse?

Am I missing something obvious?

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast