Kiwi Jam

Smile John Redding of the 57th Regiment (Die Hards)

Hello

I am looking for information on my great-great-grandfather John Redding.

He was born in Ireland (maybe Limerick in approx 1836). It appears he fought at least along side the 57th regiment during the Maori Wars in New Zealand, some historical records mention him being "an old 57th man".

Apparently the 57th were in Ireland before the Crimean war. Does anyone know how I can find out if he joined the 57th when they were in Ireland - and took apart in the Crimean War..... or just joined them when they got to New Zealand?

Thanks in advance

Reputation beyond repute

Have you searched the WO 97 Soldiers papers ("British Army Service Records 1760-1913") on Findmypast?

georgiep

Hi Kiwi
    Through Google I found
    Little Wars of the 57th 1856-1881
    Sorry I tried to post the link but it didn't work.
    All the best
    georgiep

indexer

AFAIK they also were in Sydney OZ in the late 1820s -30s

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Jam View Post
    Does anyone know how I can find out if he joined the 57th when they were in Ireland - and took apart in the Crimean War..... or just joined them when they got to New Zealand?

Thanks in advance

There is a record on findmypast you might want to look at.

John Redding, born abt 1837 at Coppagh, Rathkeale, Limerick
    Attested to the 57th Regt of the Foot on 28 May 1860 at Cork in the county of Cork
    Served 1 3/12 years in New Zealand and the rest at home
    Finally discharged 1863
    Intended residence New Plymouth, New Zealand

Kiwi Jam

Thank you to you all, especially Olliecat - with your help I now have his army record and more history of the unit!

Michael Redding

Hello Kiwi Jam. Are you and I related? My great grandfather was also called John Redding but I don't know much about him. His Grandson, L..... M..... Redding (also known as P.....) is still living and lives in Napier, New Zealand. He is 83 years old and is my father. Sorry I can't help you with your specific enquiry. Regards, Michael Redding
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 01-04-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: masked name of living person - please read the AUP

Kiwi Jam - you will find a few references to John Redding in early New Zealand on Papers Past - including one who was sentenced to prison for attempting suicide! Only you will know if this is the right one.

If John's army discharge took place in New Zealand, you should also search the Appendices to the Journal of the House of Representatives where a lot of soldiers are mentioned with their gratuities at end of service. Start here:
    https://www.atojs.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-...10--1------0--

My great-great grandfather James Batten was the Paymaster to the 57th Regiment during the 1860s wars, so he probably prepared John Redding's wages. Before coming to New Zealand James had served in the Crimea, Malta and India, and family tradition says the regiment arrived from Limerick, but I have not yet properly checked that out.

Dale in Kapiti

Kiwi Jam

Default Hello cousin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Redding View Post
    Hello Kiwi Jam. Are you and I related? My great grandfather was also called John Redding but I don't know much about him. His Grandson, L..... M..... Redding (also known as P.....) is still living and lives in Napier, New Zealand. He is 83 years old and is my father. Sorry I can't help you with your specific enquiry. Regards, Michael Redding
    Yes, we are related. My mother and I went up to Napier and visited L.... M.... (P....) Redding earlier this year. I didn't have a lot of luck tracing the family back any further than John Redding (the name is too common in Ireland). I put what I found on a CD and sent it to your father, so you and your brother and sister could have it if you were interested. Do you know if your father found any more photos of the family (John Redding and wife Johanna)?

Sorry for the slow response to your post, I didn't get an email from the site that you had commented and missed it.

Kiwi Jam

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    Kiwi Jam - you will find a few references to John Redding in early New Zealand on Papers Past - including one who was sentenced to prison for attempting suicide! Only you will know if this is the right one.

If John's army discharge took place in New Zealand, you should also search the Appendices to the Journal of the House of Representatives where a lot of soldiers are mentioned with their gratuities at end of service. Start here:
    https://www.atojs.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-...10--1------0--

My great-great grandfather James Batten was the Paymaster to the 57th Regiment during the 1860s wars, so he probably prepared John Redding's wages. Before coming to New Zealand James had served in the Crimea, Malta and India, and family tradition says the regiment arrived from Limerick, but I have not yet properly checked that out.

Dale in Kapiti
    Thanks for the idea for the House of Representatives I will try that out.

The John Redding that was arrested for attemped suicide, spent time in jail for it and when he got out he made sure his next attempt was successful - he is not my ancestor though, he killed himself before the one I am related to had children. The two John's did live near each other and for a while I thought they were the same person (shame jail for suicide attempt would have made a great addition to the family history)