DaveinInskip

Default saving to laptop

Hello Scribes,can anyone help with advice on saving to a flash drive.

I have to go dog sitting for 8 days and would like to take my wifes laptop with FreeREG loaded, with me.

I am working with a disk of Kirkham Lancs,so all to now causes me no problem.

How do I get the laptop to save FreeREG to a flash drive,and how do I get the contents of the flash drive onto my computer?

FreeREG seems to have no option to download the flash drive to it. Any thoughts on this would be very helpful,it may be that something is stareing me in the face but I can't see it.

Mike Fry

Default Saving To A Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    Hello Scribes,can anyone help with advice on saving to a flash drive.

I have to go dog sitting for 8 days and would like to take my wifes laptop with FreeREG loaded, with me.

I am working with a disk of Kirkham Lancs,so all to now causes me no problem.

How do I get the laptop to save FreeREG to a flash drive,and how do I get the contents of the flash drive onto my computer?

FreeREG seems to have no option to download the flash drive to it. Any thoughts on this would be very helpful,it may be that something is staring me in the face but I can't see it.
    I suppose, as the author, I'm best placed to answer this

There are two possible answers that i could give here, depending on whether I've read your question correctly.

I suppose the most obvious one (and the one that I think you're asking) is about getting the program onto a laptop that doesn't already have it installed. This is easy! Go to The Home Of WinREG and download the latest version (3.1.4) from there as an MSI file. This can be stored on your memory stick and installed onto the lap top from there. You will, of course, need to do all your settings again!

As for the other possibility, you could change the Data Folder setting on the Data Entry tab of the Settings and user Options dialogue to point to a folder/directory on the memory stick. This presupposes that you want to take your existing files with you. Doing so, would at least, allow you to upload from the laptop to FreeREG, but does mean that the memory stick must be plugged in every time you start the program.

I see that there is a third possibility. Just editing files on the memory stick without uploading them to FreeREG. When you go to open a file (not create one) navigate to the folder on the memory stick and select the file. When the changes are saved, the file will be written back to where it came from.

These tips are useful :-

a) New files are only created in the Data Folder
    b) Existing files can be opened from anywhere
    c) Only files in the Data Folder can be uploaded.

Regards,
    Mike Fry
    In a HOT and Sunny Johannesburg

DaveinInskip

Mike,many thanks for your message,only today got back home,will peruse your details and go one way or the other

Dave