Thread: All at sea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jacky160

Question All at sea

I would be grateful if someone can tell me what L M stands for in the Naval medal and award rolls on Ancestry. Thanks for any help.

Jacky160

Bertie

It means Landsman - this referred to people with no previous sea-going experience

jacky160

Question All at sea reply

Thanks for your help . The man I am looking for gave his occupation as Mariner on his first marriage in 1765 and as Master in the Royal Navy on his second marriage in 1795 - so LM as a landsman does not make sense in 1794.

I have found in the medal rolls (on Ancestry) for HMS Audacious around the time of the Battle of the Nile awards for Andrew Tracy as both AB (Able Bodied Seaman) and LM. Both he and his son Andrew were at sea so it is possible that these awards refer to his son (who also ended up as a Master Mariner according to his will).

So further clarification of LM may enable me to stay at home rather than travel 200 miles to Kew and back.

Jacky160

Geoffers

If this reference and also this one on TNA's catalogue is to your chap, could the figure 2 have been mistaken for the letter L?

PS - I hope this saves you a journey

jacky160

Many many thanks Geoffers. I will look again to see if, I have mistaken the figure 2 for the letter L . I am sure the reference you have given me will be a big help.

jacky160

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jacky160
    I will look again to see if, I have mistaken the figure 2 for the letter L .
    If you haven't mistaken a 2 for L, perhaps the person writing the original list did so?