Thread: Schools

Kavik

Default Schools

If a person lived in Nottingham (City) in the 1880's, early 1890's - where would they have gone to primary school? Was tehre just one or several?

I'm trying out a longshot here as I believe it maybe possible two particular individulas met because they attended the same primary school (possibly secondary - "high school' here in the US). I can find a ton of stuff on current schools but not having luck for ones around the turn of the last century.

Thanks!

Jan1954

First stop could be an email to the Nottinghamshire Archives, asking for the names of the schools in the area at the time in question. They may also have pupil lists that may help. If not, once you know the names of any likely schools, you could perhaps contact them direct.

https://www.
    nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/libraries-archives-contact.htm

salbex

Hi Kavik

I found this site which might help, i only scanned my eyes across it & it seems there was more than 1 primary school, a thourough read of the site may say differently www.
    nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/bulwell4.htm

Lulu1

Trade Directories list all the schools in the area and gives their addresses. From that you should be able to establish the nearest school.

Try www.
    historicaldirectories.org

Hello Kavik

Have you an address in the city, might help point you in the general direction?

Cheers