Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default The North Wales Tragedy

It's quite strange how sqeamish we sometimes are at revealing some dark deed of our family history, however far back in time it might have occurred.
    I was only recently, and then very reluctantly by my cousin, made aware of a murderer in the family.
    Details are scant and the only record I have is a report in the Chester Courant and Advertiser for North Wales dated 10th May 1893 and that copy is I think incomplete.

The lurid headlines The North Wales Tragedy- Inquest on the Murderer- Horrible spectacle.
    Briefly the tragedy happened at Marford Hill just outside Gresford. The victim a Mrs Norris Whittle aged 28, mother of two small children and temporarily estranged from her husband .
    The murderer- George Shellard, a horse dealer originally from Wiltshire (my great grandfather's brother in law)
    The action - Shellard shot Mrs Whittle and then slit her throat. He then proceeded to shoot himself in the mouth and died of his wounds.

Any background to this would be interesting and helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

radstockjeff

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    the only record I have is a report in the Chester Courant and Advertiser for North Wales dated 10th May 1893 and that copy is I think incomplete.
    The British Library's 19th-Century British Newspapers collection (provided by Gale online databases) has at least 20 separate reports of this incident.

You may be able to access the collection online, free, from home, using your county library membership card. The service seems to be offered by North Somerset Libraries, though perhaps not by Somerset Libraries. I'm not sure which service is local to you.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The British Library's 19th-Century British Newspapers collection (provided by Gale online databases) has at least 20 separate reports of this incident.

You may be able to access the collection online, free, from home, using your county library membership card. The service seems to be offered by North Somerset Libraries, though perhaps not by Somerset Libraries. I'm not sure which service is local to you.
    Thanks for the lead. I have today received some further info from the British Library via the Bristol City Reference Library who subscribe to the service.

Will update in due course.

Happy New Year to all members

radstockjeff

Waynecw

Hello,
    I came across this old posting whilst looking for something completely unrelated. I'm not sure if it's still relevant but the following link might help
    https://www.historicalgems.co.uk/Wrex...2898950).htm#6

Quote Originally Posted by radstockjeff View Post
    It's quite strange how sqeamish we sometimes are at revealing some dark deed of our family history, however far back in time it might have occurred.
    I was only recently, and then very reluctantly by my cousin, made aware of a murderer in the family.
    Details are scant and the only record I have is a report in the Chester Courant and Advertiser for North Wales dated 10th May 1893 and that copy is I think incomplete.

The lurid headlines The North Wales Tragedy- Inquest on the Murderer- Horrible spectacle.
    Briefly the tragedy happened at Marford Hill just outside Gresford. The victim a Mrs Norris Whittle aged 28, mother of two small children and temporarily estranged from her husband .
    The murderer- George Shellard, a horse dealer originally from Wiltshire (my great grandfather's brother in law)
    The action - Shellard shot Mrs Whittle and then slit her throat. He then proceeded to shoot himself in the mouth and died of his wounds.

Any background to this would be interesting and helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

radstockjeff