sloughfolk

Default Any good books on Cornish history?

I'm not really interested in mining - have read much of that already, and I've downloaded a wonderful book on the Cornish language. I'm really interested in the cultural, religious, social, and political aspects of early Cornwall through the 1800s.

I'm interested in the Celts, the invasions, the alliance between the Danes and Cornish to fight the British, the Bible Christians vs Anglicans, and any of the social/cultural developments from early Cornwall to the 1800s. (My first known Cornwall ancestor did go to Pennsylvania, undoubtedly to work in the mines, then the family moved and took up farming. Maybe his family had had farming experience in Cornwall for him to be able to change professions.)

My Cornwall ancestors are so interesting, but the last one died in 1949 so I never knew any of them - just of them.

I'd love to know more. Thank you for any recommendations!

Linda

Colin Rowledge

Welcome to the forum, Linda. My mum's family was from Cornwall, predominantly miners, so that has been main interest in the books I've acquired. Alas, I can't help you, but I am sure that others here will provide useful tips on reading material, so I'll check this particukar thread fron time to time.

I note where you reside - and it's going to be a lot better there in the next few months than here!!

Colin

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by sloughfolk View Post
    I'm not really interested in mining - have read much of that already, and I've downloaded a wonderful book on the Cornish language.
    Wel, gorthugher da! Nice to see someone interested in the language!
    Living in Hawaii makes it a little difficult to learn, but there are some excellent correspondence courses which can teach you the language if you are interested. You can even take the Language Board exams in the USA, as well as various European countries and the Antipodes.
    The current Grand Bard learned via one of the correspondence classes as there were no classes near him (and he lives in Cornwall!).

I'm really interested in the cultural, religious, social, and political aspects of early Cornwall through the 1800s.

I'm interested in the Celts, the invasions, the alliance between the Danes and Cornish to fight the British, the Bible Christians vs Anglicans, and any of the social/cultural developments from early Cornwall to the 1800s. (My first known Cornwall ancestor did go to Pennsylvania, undoubtedly to work in the mines, then the family moved and took up farming. Maybe his family had had farming experience in Cornwall for him to be able to change professions.)

My Cornwall ancestors are so interesting, but the last one died in 1949 so I never knew any of them - just of them.

Linda

Hmm... well ,there are all sorts of books, some cover specific areas - e.g I have books on St Columb, Rose, Newquay, St Dennis and various other locations - including my own parish.
    Politics - try perhaps John Angarrack books? A little bit OTT in parts, but there are some interesting historical points made.
    Stuff by Payton perhaps might be of interest to you.

Very difficult to select a specifc book which would cover all your interests, but there are lots of books on each of the things you mention. A look around the internet should produce some titles which might be of interest. Of course, many cover mining as it was a major industry here and most Cornish folk have some ancestry in the mines.

Mark

deeree

Hello Linda, and welcome to Brit-Gen.

You might like to have a look at "The West Country Book," ISBN 0-9006671-23-X. It's a selection of essays, stories, extracts from novels and poems from some of the region's major authors, past and present. It's edited by J.C.Trewin with a foreword by HRH the Prince of Wales.

sloughfolk

Default Mahalo! (Thank you)

Thanks, Mark and Deeree!

I'm pretty sure my Cornish ancestors, the Gist family (were miners) - they came from Warbstow & St. Gennys then emigrated to Pennsylvania where the mining industry was very active. Later they changed to farming, and some of their family members were farmers in Cornwall, so I guess that was helpful for the change of profession.

I've got several Cornwall surnames: Gist, Nottle, Cory, Browning, Cowling, Bone, Marshall to name a few, and they all lived around St. Gennys and inland. I was interested in the Cory name as it was associated with the Bible Christians which I heard were quite active around St. Gennys, Devon (where I also have ancestors) and Wales (also have many ancestors from there). I think they were very poor, as on the marriage records, none could read or write.

I'll definitely look into the correspondance course on language. Pronunciation would be my biggest mystery - but then living in Hawaii, I can relate to keeping a language alive that was (is) in jeopardy of being lost.

Deeree, the book you recommend sounds like a good one too! Wish I could come to Cornwall and walk in the same parishes where my ancestors lived. Maybe someday.

Mahalo for your help! (Thank you in Hawaiian!)

Oh btw, one possible ancestor was from St Columb Major.

I was really interested in reading online about the alliance between the Cornish & the Danes against England. My husbands 1/2 Danish, so it is was an interesting synchronicty.

Thanks for the tips on the books and correspondance course on learning the language. I'm interested in what's known about the Celts and the culture was affected by all the politics and outside influences.

Where I live in Hawaii there's actually a Cornish association which I just found out about that is made up of descendents from folks who have ancestors around Lizard's Point. Not sure what they do, but I'd like to meet them. I found a possible ancestor in that area but haven't confirmed it yet.

Thanks again, Linda

Ken Ozanne

Default Try archive.org

I just went to www.
    archive.org, selected texts, and searched for Cornwall. I got 778 hits!

Each of these is a book you can download free or read online. I recommend downloading in pdf format since the text option uses a not-so-good engine. If you can't find a few of interest in this number, you are very picky!

Best,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sloughfolk View Post
    I'm not really interested in mining - have read much of that already, and I've downloaded a wonderful book on the Cornish language. I'm really interested in the cultural, religious, social, and political aspects of early Cornwall through the 1800s.

Linda

Settling in

A Cornish Childhood by A.L. Rowse is an early 20th century memoir of life in Cornwall.