Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    angelcake

Default Beachville, Brighton Road, Lancing 1933

Can anyone advise me what type of place Beachville, Brighton Road, Lancing, Steyning, West Sussex was in 1933.

Thank you

Angelcake

sueannbowen

That is a weird address Angelcake. Steyning and Lancing are different places -close but not that close. where did you get the address from?

angelcake

Dear Sue

Thanks for the question

I have the address from a 1933 death certificate - "Beachville" Brighton Road, Lancing, Steyning West RD

Hope this helps

Angelcake

Mutley

'Beachville' was formerly 'Beach House' in Brighton Road, Lancing. It was an Old Peoples' Home or Retirement Homes.

P.S. Source - The National Archives
    Last edited by Mutley; 08-11-2010 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Added Source

angelcake

Dear Mutley

thanks for the info - Now that seems a bit odd - the details I have are that the normal place of residence for this person was Edmonton House in Edmonton, Middlesex but the death is recorded as Beachville - how and why would a 35 year old end up in this type of place? Any thoughts?

Angelcake

Mutley

If you google Beach House Estate it seems to have had several uses (possibly a hospital) before being turned into a leisure park.

I think that Edmonton House may have been the workhouse so perhaps when that closed he transferred elsewhere remembering that workhouses were also infirmaries.

What was the cause of his death?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by angelcake View Post
    the details I have are that the normal place of residence for this person was Edmonton House in Edmonton, Middlesex but the death is recorded as Beachville - how and why would a 35 year old end up in this type of place?
    Possibly this person was sent to a convalescent home after a hospital stay? It was fairly common for seaside places to offer such facilities.