Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    busyglen

Thanks guys....and thanks also for the compliments, Mythology, glad you found it accessible. It's not right, and I am constantly trying to improve it, but yes...I do want to reach as many people as possible, and so far I've had quite a bit of feedback from people finding rellies. I'm even starting to link their bits of family history to the family where appropriate.

Anyway I digress......I hadn't noticed the title or tags etc. Originally they were correct, which is why Google picked up the title....but having said that, I have changed the index page a couple of times, once putting the text in a border..which obviously Google didn't like, and then I put the text back to normal. So...I think playing about with it, I altered the HTML without noticing the change in the title etc.
    I put it through the validation, but obviously that didn't see a problem.

Thanks for the help, will try and see if I can rectify this...sorry to be a pain, but I am a `mega beginner' and really appreciated guidance on this.

Glenys

busyglen

Hi again....I've just looked at the html and apart from the duplication of the `title' it looks as if I have the meta name=GENERATOR content etc. and meta name=ProgId etc. duplicated as well. So...should I delete these duplications together with the title?

I think it's possible that when making changes, I deleted the whole of the text and started again and it automatically put that coding in again. I use Front Page so don't actually do any html coding myself. (I'm a coward!).

I did run the page through the Validator again and it didn't come up with any errors, so obviously the duplication isn't a problem....but, as you say it may be a problem for the `spider'.

I'm off out soon, so won't be able to check back until tomorrow, but thanks in anticipation. And yes Patrisia, where would we be indeed!

Glenys

Guy Etchells

With regards to Google and getting top listing in the returns.
    Google now employ a system that uses 'links to a site' to determine a sites placing on the returns list.
    Basically the more sites that link to your site the higher your site will be listed.
    All links are not equal - a link from an important site carries more weight than a link from an unimportant site.

Consider Archive CD Books as an example (no disrepect to anyone named or unnamed intended).

A link from Archive CD Books or British Genealogy.com would be scored at say 30 points
    A link from Rod Neep perhaps 25 points
    A link from Rob Dewsall 20 points
    Geoffers 15 points
    and everyone else say 1 point.

Using the above it is easy to see a site would have to get links from 31 other sites to be placed above a site which contained a link from the Archive CD Books site.
    But one which had a link from ACDB + Rod Neep would be placed higher than one with a link from ACDB & Rob Dewsall.

The trick therefore is to do some research and try to have links to your website from those sites considered important in the relevant subject.
    Cheers
    Guy

busyglen

Thumbs up

Thanks for that information Guy.

I do have links to my site from Cyndi's List, Genuki/Kent, and several other Kent based FHS sites plus Coastguards of Yesteryear that has quite a large hit list. Before something went wrong recently, I was on the bottom of the first page of a Google search under `Coastguards'. When I first started out I was on page 3 and worked my way up as my links grew.

I could kick myself for whatever I did that pulled me off the list, but at least I am on there under my ULR at present, which is better than not at all!

I will have to see if I can get some more links. Apart from Cyndi's List, I haven't actually pushed my site....the links have been added by people that thought the site useful. Likewise, I have added other peoples links from my site that I feel could be useful to researchers following the same type of research.

Again, many thanks.

Glenys

Patrisia

Hi Glenys,

Just came across this https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login
    Seems like it might be the answer to your problems?

busyglen

Hi Patrisia,

I have a feeling that someone mentioned this on one of the Rootsweb help pages last year, but I had forgotten about it, so thank you. I will have to check that it's not a problem with Rootsweb.freepages. I have also got to go over each of my pages, to check the titles.....when I set each new page I put in the title before saving, but some came up as `new page 1' which is a pain!! I've now got to go and amend the ones that are wrong, and hope that I don't mess them up!!

Thanks again.

Glenys

johnadey

Default Listing on Google

Always remember that Google changes the formula it uses for page ranking on a regular basis. It is not uncommon for a site which was in the top 3 for a particular search term to drop down many pages in the listings or even disappear completely then come back again a few weeks later.

Regards
    John Adey

busyglen

Thanks John!

I wasn't particularly worried about `where' my site came, just that it was being picked up. I'm still getting hits so know that it is still working ok. I was previously concerned that it had stopped picking it up, which would have been a waste of time putting that information out there.

As I haven't made any frontpage changes for some time, I shan't worry if the hits drop off for a while, so thanks for the info.

Glenys

pixelman

Red face This will help...

One way to guarantee that Google will regularily crawl your site and not miss any pages, and improve your ranking...

visit google and open an account. If anyone wants a google mail account email me at [email protected] and I will send an invite. Once created you use your gmail details to logon to your google account.

Create a xml sitemap at this site...
    https://www.auditmypc.com/free-sitemap-generator.asp and save it to the same directory as your webpages and then upload it as if it was a webpage.

Login to google here
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login

and register your website. Then show google where the sitemap.xml file is.
    (something like https://www.mysitename.com/sitemap.xml)

You can even tell the spider how often your want them to recrawl your site.

Sounds complicated but it isn't really. Will take about 15 minutes in total and you will be safe in the knowledge that Google will always know your there!

Mark
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12