Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    busyglen

Default Web site missing from Google?

Something weird has happened with my web site, in that for some reason it is no longer showing up on a google search. If I typed in the heading it came up straight away. If I typed in `Coastguards' it usually appeared on the second page.....but now it doesn't appear at all, only through the links of other sites, that have added me to their sites.

I haven't uploaded a new index.htm page although I have been trying to amend the tables at the bottom by adjusting them to fit the size of the text, without success at the moment. (Being new to this it's all double dutch). But, I haven't deleted the text or anything else, so I can't see what I have done, that has caused me to disappear from google. I wondered why the numbers had dropped!

Any ideas folks?

Glenys

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~puxty

Mandie

Could it be the whole of https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/ has had its links removed rather than just your site?

[EDIT] https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/webm....html#usedtobe may also help to explain why your site/the domain is not appearing.
    Last edited by Mandie; 31-05-2005 at 1:28 PM.

busyglen

Mandie, thank you for that ULR it was most helpful.

I did make a couple of changes to the front page, although the time was only minutes, but it's possible that it missed the `crawl'. Other freepage sites still seem to be there, so I guess, I'll wait and see it it's picked up again on the next crawl.

Thanks for your help.

Glenys

Mandie

You're most welcome.

Another thing to try (although it has become slightly outdated) is a description and keywords in the meta data. Some of the other search engines still work in this way. You would put the code before your </head> tag.

Code:
    <meta name="description" content="Soliloquies is the personal website of Mandie" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="uk, united kingdom, england, family history, books, mandie" />
    Obviously, you would be more inventive than my keywords!

Guy Etchells

I would remove the initial text from the table, it shouldn't make a difference but I have found spiders don't like to encounter tables immediately.
    I would therefore remove everything down to your name from the table just centre the heading and left justify the rest of the text and it will appear the same on the website and hopefully solve the spider problem.
    Cheers
    Guy

busyglen

Hi Guy,

So in other words, the text would go to the edge of the page... for instance, as in this message?

That's how I had it when I started, but then someone suggested it might look neater with the table border, so I changed it and quite liked the appearance. Then I messed with the pages map, and put them in tables, but then couldn't get them to balance with the text. I guess I will have to do as you suggest and forget the table for the text. Will have a bash tomorrow when I have time. That's the trouble with being new to this and not really HTML experienced. Front Page did most of it, but I do verify it for mistakes.

*** Have just gone in and altered it, and it looks much better too.

Thanks for your help Guy.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 01-06-2005 at 2:32 PM. Reason: Add paragraph.

busyglen

Thanks for the idea Mandie.

Glenys

busyglen

Sorry to be a pain again

It looks as if the Google spider has picked my web site up again at last, but for some reason it's not showing the heading. Previously, one could type in Coastguards, and it would come up with my site heading `Coastguards on Sheppey' with ULR underneath. Or, typing Coastguards on Sheppey would pull that heading up at the top of the search. Now if I type in Coastguards, it comes up with my ULR (no mention of Coastguards) and the same if I type in the Coastguards on Sheppey.

Does anyone know why this should be? Although it's listed again, and I'm pleased about that, people might pass it by if they just see the ULR and no mention of Coastguards.

Upon reflection....if they are really interested they would probably look at it anyway wouldn't they? I just can't figure out why they dropped the title this time as it is still showing on my index page.

Glenys

johnpritt

It's been a while since I designed my own web site, and I can't remember everything about the meta tags in the HEAD and how they are picked up by spiders, but I notice that you don't have any key words listed or description. The NAME meta tag is just to put "Coastguards" as the name that appears in the browser window and I don't think that this is necessarily picked up by spiders. As Mandie suggested, if you use a description and key words then you should have more success.

You could also consider registering the site with Google or other search engines. There are genealogy specific categories. It doesn't have to cost you anything. I did, and now if I enter Pritt-Reeves in Google it returns over 400 results. OK, only one of them is actually pointing directly to my site...but it's better than nothing! The advantage is that this allows you to give a short description of what the site is about which is returned in the search results.

And no, I can't remember exactly how I did it. Sorry, it was a while ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be

johnpritt

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with having a part-finished site if it's intended for a limited number of visitors, such as friends or family. As you say, they know what the score is anyway. And they probably know and love and forgive you your little foibles

The main target for my own site is my family who are pretty widespread across both hemispheres. However, I decided to register it because I kept hitting too many brick walls and thought that I might get some feedback from others if they too were searching the same names.

Having said that, I've had more feedback from Genes Reunited...but that's another story.

In Glenys' case, the site is (I suppose) aimed at a wider audience so getting it noticed is more important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast