Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jack Richards

Default A problem editing my web site off line

Hi Friends

After learning html (self taught) I have mastered it to be able to create web pages for my web site. However, I am not too good with computers.

All of a sudden I have a problem, with editing my web pages. Can any of you offer a suggestion, please?.

Here is the example.

I decide to edit one of my web pages OFF LINE, something I have done hundreds of times over the last few years.

If it is a page that does not contain the html text stopping people "nicking" my images, normally I would right mouse click and then View Source. That would in the past until recently always allow me to edit it as notepad.

When I try this now, I can see the typing but it will not let me edit the page. This typing is in two colours and each line is numbered. This was how it used to be when I had text to prevent people "nicking"images,

Next, if in the past, I had the script on the page to stop people nicking images, I had to go to the toolbar and click on page and then I could see View Source to click on. It would then allow me to edit it as notepad.

Again, now I cannot edit it at all - the edit button on View Source is not active.

Hope I have explained it clearly.

A few weeks ago, I upraded to Internet Explorer version 8 - can this be the problem - I have noted something about Compatibilty View?

Kindest regards

AnjaliUK

I tend to use what you see is what you get programs, but I think you should be able to open the saved HTML page in notepad directly. I can't test it right now because I don't have notepad. If you're editing a page from the net, save it to your computer first, then open it in notepad. Maybe. :/

Hello Jack

I am just a bit concerned that you are editing your pages this way and not from the file that is saved to your hard drive.

Have you tried saving the file first before you attempt to edit it? That is the only solution I can see.

Neil

Jack Richards

Hi Friends

First a big thank you to AnjaliUK for your quick response and you are absolutely correct, I can open Notepad and edit the web page. I was not aware of that method and hence I can now edit my web pages in that manner. Again thanks.

But, please can I request readers of this thread to go back to my original posting and try to offer me an explanation as to why I cannot edit in the manner that I mentioned.

Having looked at the Compatibilty View and Internet Explorer v.8 - there may be no connection with my problem.

Kindest regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 05-11-2010 at 7:57 PM. Reason: Headings repeated

Famous for offering help & advice

Could it be that when you upgraded to IE8 you lost your previous Edit With settings? Have a look at Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab. For HTML editing, mine had MS Word set as default (probably because I installed that after IE8), plus Notepad and for some reason MS Excel - and in the light of this thread I've now changed it to Notepad. (I actually use Firefox most of the time, so don't really need to use the IE options.)

Once set, there are various places you can put or find the command in IE. I can find it in the File Menu and the Command Menu, where it's under Page, but it might also be possible to put it under Tools or as an item on its own.

Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards View Post
    - the edit button on View Source is not active.
    Just tested it and got the same, but that is when you select view source from Page. I tried Edit with Notepad and that was OK, no numbers and with black text. I would think that View Source is just that, at the present, they must be working on it.

Jack Richards

Hi Friends

Thanks Neil for your reply.

All my off line web pages, including all images etc. are retained in a folder named "Upload" and yes, that folder is saved on my hard drive with a copy of same saved onto an external hard drive.

In the past, well actually as of now, I go into the Upload folder, highlight the web page i.e. claycross and it opens and is identical to what is on my web site : www.richardsbygonetimes.co.uk

It is now when I want to edit from that page i,e,claycross that I right mouse click and the View Source - but as mentioned in my first posting, it will no longer allow me to edit the page. I believe it should allow me to do so. My continuing request is try and discover why I cannot.

Following on from AnjaliUK reply, always I upload my new or edited web pages via a little freebie wsfpt - it was when I went into that programme after AnjaliUKs reply, that I can edit from there in notepad,

Neil, you will have guessed I do not have a web page claycross, although I know it well from my youth footballing - I'm from nearby Palterton.

Kindest regards

One of Microsoft's puzzles that no one will find the answer to.

Jack - you can open the file from your upload folder by right clicking and selecting Open with and choose Notepad.

AnjaliUK

No probs, glad it worked! I have no clue about the issue with viewing the source however.

Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry - because I don't use IE much I'd forgotten that in IE8 it now distinguishes between View Source and Edit, whereas previously (IE6) you could set it up to open Notepad in View Source. So my previous reply, while I think it tells you how to edit from within IE, doesn't exactly answer your question. As Neil was getting at, View Source is exactly and only that; for Edit it seems there's nothing in the right-click menu, so you need to use other menu options. Or (and I've just tried this) you can customise the Command Bar and add an icon for Edit (it looks like a pencil), which also gives drop-down options for non-default editing programs.

Hope this helps,
    Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast