Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    BernieFD

Default Royal Navy/London,3rd.Gt.Grandfather lost.

I was researching my Donnelly family from the London area, circa 1809-1867, many years ago, and have now decided to try and start again, they need to be found !!
    My research got back to my Gt.Gt.Grandfather SILVESTER ( SYLVESTER) DONNELLY, born approx. 1809 who married ELIZABETH McCABE at St.Pancras Church Old Church London area 4 May 1834. He died in 1867.
    They had 5 sons,
    Sylvester Aloysius born 1835, who became a catholic priest,
    Francis ( my great grandfather) born 1837, died 1883,
    Miles born 1839,
    George born 1841,
    William Vincent born 1847.
    I believe my Gt .Gt. Grandfather Silvester’s (born 1809) father was also named Silvester and was a steward in the Royal Navy and served on HMS Rota but unfortunately none of the ship’s records can be located.
    I don’ t know if my Gt.Gt .Grandfather or his father had any siblings.
    I am trying to find the birth and/ or marriage details for Silvester’s father ( the navy steward) but not having any luck at all. I do believe that Silvester’s ( born 1809) mother was Julia Ann McKenna , but I do not have any details about the marriage as to where and when.
    Can anyone please help?
    Regards.
    BernieFD, from Australia.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Bernie, welcome to the forum. We have some very good helpers here & uncanny searchers. You've given some good information so let's hope between us all we can find those who are missing. The Father of your G.G.G'Father Silvester who may also be Silvester, would have been born about 1784 is that correct, give or take a year or 3?

Can you say where you have searched please to save double ups in the same are?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Bertie

Hi BernieFD it may not be of much help but there is SOME information on HMS Rota at TNA, for example:

ADM 27/21: covers 1811-1812 and are allotment registers (recording the sending of wages to next of kin by warrant officers, ratings and Royal Marines from ships) HMS Rota is mentioned on pages 48-49, 100-102, 114. As your Sylvester the Steward was married by then, it's poss. he arranged for wages to be sent to his wife. If you click on the "ordering and viewing options" button you will get information on how to get hold of any content you are interested in [as I imagine you won't be making a trip to Kew anytime soon!]

ADM 27/18: as above for 1812. HMS Rota: pages 200-201

The earliest newspaper article I can find for her is a report 01 Nov 1810, when she arrived in Plymouth from Ireland

BernieFD

Thank you both for your replies.
    I can't really tell you much about my research as I did it from the early IGI and LDS records about 15 years ago and was helped also by my researcher Peter Bennet in Hampshire who told me by letter that he got the information about Silvester's parents from Silvesters's birth certificate which I assume he checked in the UK .I do not have a copy .
    I will try and check on the allotment registers .
    I certainly won't be coming to Kew from Australia in the near future.
    Bernie.( Australia.)

BernieFD

Again from Bernie,
    Checking my reply I now realise that the information I obtained about Silvester's parents was from his marriage in 1834 and not his birth certificate, sorry about that.
    Bernie.

Geoffers

Trying to follow this up from Australia will be difficult as the records are not available to view online

If you know someone in the UK who can go to Kew on your behalf, I would be inclined to ask them to check out these records (click on links to take you to TNA's catalogue)

Pay Books
    Musters
    TNA has several research guides on the RN click here and look at the links prefixed 'Royal Navy'

There is a little bit about the ship on Paul Benyon's site - HMS Rota

BernieFD

From BernieFD,
    Thank you for your prompt replies.
    I will leave HMS Rota research for a while as I know, or hope I know, that Silvester was married to Julia McKenna and what I would like to to find are some details about their marriage and if possible when and where they were married. I have a suspicion that Silvester came from Ireland and may have been born about the early to mid 1880s, but where and when they were married is still a mystery to me.

BernieFD

Correction my post should have been early to mid 1780s.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You've just answered a question I meant to ask ealier Bernie, re Irish /Scottish beginnings, I have so far found neither on Pilot search or IGI Records. Not the end of it all, there are answers out there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by BernieFD View Post
    I don’ t know if my Gt.Gt .Grandfather or his father had any siblings.
    It appears your Gt. Gt. Grandfather Sylvester (b1809) may have had one sister:

Marriage - Bloomsbury St George parish church - 8 July 1847

Frederick Hale Holmes, of full age, bachelor, chemist, 15 Alfred Street, father George Holmes, Attorney
    Mary Fuller, of full age, widow, -----, 15 Alfred Street, father Sylvester Donnelly, Mate in the East India Company Service

(Parties signed), Witnesses Sylvia Pattenden, Heneng??? Catter????

This couple are found on the 1851 UK census at the same address (HO107; Piece: 1509; Folio: 9; Page: 15, Crown copyright in care of TNA), with wife Mary Holmes recorded as age 48, born in London, and a nephew George Donnelly, age 9, born in Kerry, Ireland living with the couple.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast