Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mary Anne

Default Where was H.M.S. Crocodile in 1881?

Hello all,

I have found the Quilter family, J.H. Quilter, his wife and 8 India-born children enumerated on board the Royal Navy Vessel H.M.S. Crocodile in the 1881 census.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out whether the vessel was in-bound or out-bound at the time? Was it docked or 'at sea'?

Another question: The senior Mr. Quilter is listed as a 'conductor' in the Department of Public Works -- what is a 'conductor' in this context? and what Dept of Public Works -- the Indian Civil Service?

TIA

Mary Anne

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Try this link, it looks like she was in Portsmouth. just add www

.pbenyon.plus.com/18-1900/C/01192.html

Keith

Mary Anne

Thanks, Keith - this is an interesting database!

But, how are you concluding the Crocodile was IN Portsmouth at the time of the 1881 census? All I can see is that she was there in 1879, and was later recommissioned there in 1884.

Mary Anne

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Only that they show no other place's between the dates. If you've found him on board in the 1881 census does it not give location and the start of that section?

Mary Anne

No, all it says is "Royal Navy Vessels"! Maybe I'll have another look at the pages before, it may say something on one of them.

Thanks Keith

Mary Anne

OK, have now looked again at the images. The ones for Crocodile are images 1 to 80. But there should be a cover page entitled "Enumeration Book" that has location and ship's master etc. (Image 80 for Crocodile is actually this front cover page for H.M.S. Fly)

It appears the one for Crocodile either no longer exists, or wasn't filmed, since it doesn't come up either when one clicks on the "description of the enumeration district" next to the Crocodile's name. <sigh>

Mary Anne

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne
    I have found the Quilter family, J.H. Quilter, his wife and 8 India-born children enumerated on board the Royal Navy Vessel H.M.S. Crocodile in the 1881 census.

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out whether the vessel was in-bound or out-bound at the time? Was it docked or 'at sea'?
    You could try the ship's log, held at TNA, but that would need a cheap-day return to Kew to view it.

Does this help at all..........

www.
    garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/resources/troopship_crocodile.php

(Scroll down this page to get to 1881)
    Note the source is 'The Times'

what Dept of Public Works -- the Indian Civil Service?
    Possibly

Mary Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    You could try the ship's log, held at TNA, but that would need a cheap-day return to Kew to view it.
    Dear Geoffers

Wouldn't I love to be able to get a cheap day-return to Kew from where I am ...

Oh, looks like the Afghan list is incredibly helpful -- it shows the Crocodile leaving Bombay on 31 March 1883. So, as the census was (nominally) on 3 April, it likely means they were at sea.

Thank you, Geoffers

Mary Anne

mstarra

My great grandfather was ships corporal to HMS Crocodile (troopship) and his service record indicates that August 2 1880 the ship was in Portsmouth, where he was "paid off". Probably doesn't help but Portsmouth for 1881 seems a fair bet.
    Regards

MikeT

Mary Anne

Thanks, Mike. I actually was able to track the entire path of the Crocodile from the Anglo-Afghan war site that Geoffers referred me to.

Excerpts from The Times, the ship took the following route:
    31 March '81, left Bombay (T 02.4.81);
    13 April '81, arrived Suez (T 14.4.81);
    16 April '81, left Port Said for Malta (T 18.4.81);
    21 April '81 arrived Malta (T 25.4.81);
    25 April '81, passed by Gibraltar (T 26.4.81);
    30 April '81, arrived Portsmouth (T 02.5.81).

Mary Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast