Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lauraathawes

Thanks I have found the death on FMP, but I can't be sure, without a D.O.B or place I'm not 100%. It could be, it might not be. Stockley is quiet a common name.

I'm not even sure how I would go about confirming or denying this. Any idea??

Famous for offering help & advice

There is an E Stockley born Corfe Castle appearing on Crew Lists from 1874-1877. His first ship was named "African" and he joined 25 Jul 1874 as a Saloon Boy, aged 21. The ship was registered in Southampton, so there's a good chance this could be him.

The last ship he is listed on is the Durban, No 76838, voyage date 13 Dec 1877 to 30 Mar 1878. According to TNA this ship sailed between Southampton & the Cape. It looks like it was owned by the Union Steamship Company and was a Mail Steamer.

The original of this crew list is at Southampton Archives under reference D/RSS/1878/76838. Whether it will tell you anything more, I really don't know.

lauraathawes

This is interesting to know thank you Jomot1.

I will have a look into this at the weekend and see if I can confirm that it is him. If not perhaps a trip to Southampton is needed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12