Titanicfan

Default How to Obtain Copies of Army Chaplain Baptism

Hi all

I have found an index of Army Chaplain Baptisms on the Malta Family History site for my ancestor's children who were baptised there whilst he was serving in Malta.

Can anyone please let me know how I can obtain copies of the baptism records?

Thank you in advance.

Titanicfan

Geoffers

Does the index on the web-site you mention give a clue as to the source from which it was compiled?

Titanicfan

Geoffers, it just mentions that it's taken from the Army Chaplains index of Baptisms.

Geoffers

Without seeing the index and form of reference given I can only guess that it is compiled from the registers which commenced in 1796, the complete index being available on many pay-per-view sites (The index I am thinking of takes the form of Surname, Forename(s), station, year, page). Using the reference, application may be made via the GRO for a copy of a certificate at the normal fee.

Someone may be able to give a better answer.

Titanicfan

Geoffers, it's actually the baptisms that I wanted copies of and not the birth certificates.

Geoffers

That's why I'd be interested to know the form of the index; as the Army Chaplains' returns cover both birth and baptism and I suspect that the index you have found is connected, possibly an index of the local records from which the main Army Chaplains' returns were compiled. Is there anything included with the index to indicate where the source material is held?

A typical certificate includes:

Child's Date of birth, Place and date of child's baptism, Christian name, name of Chaplain or other clergyman. Signature of Adjutant certifying correctness of entry.

In each of the two certificates I have obtained the details of father (in one case it is a step-father) - his name rank and no. - and mother are included.

Titanicfan

The index on the Malta Family History website just states the surname, first name, year and regiment. Unfortunately, apart from stating that it's the Index of Baptisms by Army Chaplains 1800-1900 it doesn't give any more details.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicfan
    The index on the Malta Family History website just states the surname, first name, year and regiment.
    Perhaps an e-mail to the Society (if they provide that contact) may clear things up and tell you where the index was sourced?

Titanicfan

Good idea, Geoffers - I will certainly do that.