Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    anida

Default Tea and Tobacco Dealer in Tidenham Chase

Good evening,

I search for information about Tea and Tobacco dealer in Tidenham Chase by Chepstow in Gloucestershire
    My great grandfather had a little shop .

Could one of you help me please?

Kind regard
    Ani

malcolm99

Hello Ani

Do you know your great grandfather's name or when he had the shop in Tidenham Chase?

malcolm99

anida

Hallo melcom99,
    thank you for your help.
    My grandfather´s called Thomas Jones and lived c.1880 in "Church Cottage" ( today called Heather Cottage) in Tidenham Chase by Chepstow/Gloucestershire.
    His wife, Ellen Jones had a little blacksmith and tea and tobacco dealer shop.
    I think he inherited this shop his son Richard "Dick" Jones.
    Kind regard
    Ani
    He had

Thomasin

Hallo Ani

In what years were Thomas Jones and Ellen Jones born? Also, do you mean that their son originally owned the shop? His year of birth would be useful, too.

malcolm99

Thomasin - see 1881 Census RG11 piece 5220 folio 61 page 34 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright) - Richard succeeded Thomas as blacksmith sometime around 1910-1914.

Thomasin

Just found it! Thanks.

malcolm99

Hello Ani

Thomas Jones is described as a ‘blacksmith’ living at the ’Chase’ [i.e. Tidenham Chase] in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses and in various directories from 1894 to 1910. In the 1891 census his wife Ellen is described as a ‘grocer’ (which is shopkeeper who would sell tea and tobacco as well as other food items). She isn’t mentioned as a shopkeeper anywhere else as far as I can see.

The last time Thomas Jones is mentioned as a blacksmith in Tidenham Chase in the 1891 census and in the 1910 Kelly’s Directory of Gloucestershire. Richard Jones is then mentioned as a blacksmith in Tidenham Chase in Kelly’s directories from 1910 until 1927 but is not mentioned in the 1939 directory.

I’m afraid that’s all I’ve been able to find. I hope this helps a bit.

malcolm99
    Last edited by malcolm99; 05-10-2010 at 4:00 PM. Reason: additions

Thomasin

After Thomas retired from shoeing horses, he and Ellen went to live with Ellen's widowed brother, James White, in Chepstow.

malcolm99

I am not at all sure that you will find any information about the “Grocer’s shop” that Ellen Jones was running in 1881. I assume that it was part of her cottage alongside the Thomas’s blacksmith’s workshop. I imagine Ellen started it to make some extra money but it may not have been very successful because James Williams already had a shop in Tidenham Chase which was certainly there between 1879 and 1894; indeed in the 1885 Kelly’s directory there was another shop as well which was run by a Joseph Goulder.

It is quite possible that Ellen only sold a limited number of food items and that her business didn’t exist for very long.

This is just guesswork of course!

malcolm99

anida

Hello Melcom99 and Thomasin
    Wow, I am very impressed about your found out.
    I will study all this information and hope have I more questions about this subject I can ask again?

for first

Thank you very much Melcom99 and Thomasin
    Ani

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast