Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oyster17

Post Baptismal/Deaths for Catholics in Manchester

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can assist. I am seeking the baptismal and death/burials records that would have occured between 1829 and 1842 in Manchester, possibly at the Cathedral (baptisms) for the following family:

Patrick Morris (of Ireland). Had a number of children, including Bridget, John, William, Lydia and Thomas (not in any specific order of birth). I believe Bridget may have died in 1844 and John born about 1832 and William about 1833. No further info on Lydia or Thomas. Patrick was a Piercer. Mother was possibly Elizabeth Delahunt. They married in 1829 at the Manchester Cathedral.

Can one also check for James Harrison, father Patrick, born in the same time period in Manchester and Roman Catholic.

Thank you in advance from Tasmania.

Regards,

Jim

georgiep

Hi Jim
    Cathedral in Manchester was a district/Diocese mostly Ancoats/Salford
    It doesn't mean they married or were baptised in the Cathedral itself.
    Have you got Patrick in 1841 census at all?
    This census doesn't give relationships and the ages were rounded off.
    Gerard(s) court Ancoats
    Patrick 50?? bn Ire no occ
    John 10 piecer, Wm 8, Bridget 14 piecer all bn Lancs.

georgiep

georgiep

Me again!
    You believe that Bridget, John and William all died young??

Tks
    I've found a John Morris bn Salford in later census

georgiep

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Oyster17 View Post
    I am seeking the baptismal and death/burials records that would have occured between 1829 and 1842 in Manchester, possibly at the Cathedral (baptisms) for the following family:
    Have you tried the Manchester Catholic Register Index?

mlfhs.co.uk/openarea/cathsearch.htm (put https:// in front)

Oyster17

Hi Georgie. Thank you for all your assistance. Yes, I did see that Patrick Morris, with three children in 1841 Census. John Morris, the person in question was tried as a criminal in July 1841 in Salford and sent to a Convict Hulk and eventually transported to tasmania. I have that information. I'm trying to determine where and when he was born, as it states he was from manchester and was a Piercer. His father was Patrick and he was aged 15 when he was sent to Tasmania in 1842. His convict record also stated he a brother Thomas and a sister Lydia but can'y find them anywhere. He was illiterate so he may not have told the truth either.

I will check the manchester Catholic Register Index, as suggested by Kerrywood and see what's there. There was a Patrick Morrris who married an Elizabeth Delahunt in 1829 in the Manchester Cathedral area. I couldn't locate Patrick in the 1851 census as he may have died.

Hopefully I can locate a baptism of John Morris who was Roman Catholic and born between 1826-1832 in Manchester area.

Thank you again.

Oyster17

Hi Kerrywood,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't checked that site and will look at it. There was a Patrick Morris who was married in 1829 in Manchester Cathedral area to Elizabeth Delahunt (as per IGI records). I'll see what I can find here.

Thank you again.

georgiep

Good luck Jim with your search.
    Well done too, finding your convict information!!
    Sorry not to be of much help.
    I looks in familysearch beta & labs site with no luck.
    Also for Lydia.

georgiep

Reputation beyond repute

There was a Patrick Morris who was married in 1829 in Manchester Cathedral area
    Is "area" a typo? According to the IGI they were married in Manchester Cathedral. It was not actually a Cathedral at the time, it was the parish church which became Manchester Cathedral in 1847.

georgiep

Hi Peter
    The word area comes from my informaton suggesting Cathedral was a rego area which included
    Salford etc.

georgiep

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by georgiep View Post
    The word area comes from my informaton suggesting Cathedral was a rego area which included Salford etc.
    Registration Districts (not Areas) came into being in 1837, and you can find a list of the Lancashire ones at GENUKI - here. As far as I could see, there weren't any districts, or sub-districts in the Manchester/Salford area, with the name Cathedral.

I'm not a Lancashire expert, but I think that by the 1820s Manchester and Salford may have been more or less totally separate entities - though no doubt people went backwards and forwards between the two.

In the early 19th century Church of England parishes also formed the basis of civil local government, so it's quite possible that Roman Catholics will appear in some of the "parish chest" records (i.e. things other than registers) belonging to a C of E parish. In addition, as has been mentioned, RC folk could easily have married in what is now Manchester Cathedral in 1829, since at that date marriages could only take place in the places of worship of the Church of England, Quakers and Jews. But it's an anachronism to refer to registration in relation to an 1829 marriage.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast