Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Noel Boulsoverr

Still looking for the Craigs of Chapelizod. I am interested in James Born c 1876, Married Bridget McCloughlin in 1899 at Chapelizod.
    Family memories suggest possible expuliosn from Scotland to Ireland in early 19th century. re thre reclords of such migration. Where on the net can I look for early data on James in Ireland ?
    Noel Boulsover

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi again Noel.

Do you have James' parents names from wedding cert?
    Going round the houses a little I may have found something useful.

Since your last posts there are now many church records on Irish Genealogy (free government site) Still a work in progress tho.
    There I found your (I think) James and Bridget as sponsors at the baptism of James Redmond 1899 Chapelizod.

In 1901 census the only other family in the same DED as James were David and Emma Craig age 50 plus Margaret 17 and Mary 12. Possible parents or relatives?

Have found a marriage also on Irish Genealogy between David Joseph Craig and Emma Redmond at St Andrew Dublin. However this was in 1881. So possibly not James parents. Maybe an uncle? Also a baptism of Margaret Mary Craig 1883 daughter of David and Emma.

If you can post all the information you have from James' wedding cert I'll have another look around.

Noel Boulsoverr

Hi Grisel
    Appreciate your renewed contact. I have been away from family history since before Christmas, as more occupied with current family matters but here goes.

James Craig described as Labourer, resident in Lower Palmerstown, gives father's name as James Craig, Labourer
    Bridget McCloughlin also resident Lower Palmerstown, gives father's name as Andrew McCloughlin, Farmer

Witnesses were Kevin Craig and Jane McLoughlin, possibly brother and sister of respective parties.?

I shall certainly appreciate any help you can offer.
    I am stilll trying to familiarise myself with sources of Irish data. I am unsure of committing to long subscriptions until I know exactly what sources I can tap. I have traced both my parents' families(Boulsover and Oakes- back to about 1700 in Derbushire and Norfolk respectively. My wife's parents posed more problems burt I have researched Green back to about 1740 in Leicesterchire and even Smith in London 1832. The Smiths yielded fascinating info of my wife's grandfather(Royal Marines, Boxer Rebellion) and great grandfather(Rifle Brigade, wounded at Inkerman). We know well the village where they lived from 1870 to 1921.

Of Irish sources I have found IFHR,1901 and 1911 census returns,Baptismal and Birth records for Ireland, and Ireland Roots forum but any advice on free consultation or pay as you go subscription sites would enable me to re=activate my son-in-laws family history. I look forward to reading more from you meanwhile
    Regards
    Noel

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Noel

For general advice on Irish records have a look on the Irish Forums on this site. Elwyn Souter is particularly knowledgeable so look out for her posts. I am a beginner in comparison!

You are looking at the right sites I think but add the excellent Irish Genealogy I mentioned above. (I think it also includes records previously in the Dublin Heritage site).

I have a book – Tracing your Irish Ancestors by John Grenham - which though now a little out of date (2005) lists the records available for each RC parish and where they are held. (Usually on microfilm with NLI, LDS or local FHS) So I can use this to check if a record is known to actually exist when I am looking at online sites.

Gradually more of these microfilmed records are online and the LDS films can be ordered. I have never subscribed to any Irish sites though I have paid for records from what is now part of IHF/Roots Ireland. Usually I just zig zag between the various online sites – LDS Family Search, Census, Irish Genealogy, IFHF/Roots Ireland - like you are doing.

Thanks for the marriage details. Father being James makes the family with a James and Catherine Palmerstown in1901 interesting. With James b Co Wicklow and Catherine Co Kildare.
    Baptisms of some of their children at Clondalkin then Chapelizod on Irish Genealogy.

However in 2011 they say 14 children born, 8 living – and unfortunately 8 are still there in the household not counting the possibility of your James jnr and the possible brother Kevin. But did they misunderstand the question and fill in the number living with them?
    Also say married 38 yrs - 1873 which would fit.

Kevin is very interesting He is a witness on your marriage and a sponsor at a baptism in Chapelizod in 1897. But no sign of him in 1901 or 1911Ireland Census or in the English census. In fact very few Kevins of any description of the right age. Did he die or emigrate between 1899 and 1901? I think GRO Ireland would do a paid search of death indexes. They are also on film at Dublin City Council.

Family search do have a birth of a Kevin Craig at Baltinglass Co Wicklow in Apr – Jun 1878 which looks very promising! Especially if father was James.

I’m wondering if James and Catherine married in Baltingass area and had their eldest children there before moving to the city? Catherine's surname seems to be Doran (from children's baptisms)

Baltinglass records are held by LDS 0926104 item 2 and might be worth ordering.

Am still intrigued by the link to David and Emma Craig nee Redmond but I think David’s father is also a David so not a brother. There is also a Thomas Craig – but both David and Thomas were born Dublin not Wicklow ( tho Wicklow adjoins Dublin)

Have a good look at Irish genealogy – look also for latin spellings eg Jacobus for James and also spelling of Craig as Craige. Parishes of interest so far - Chalelizod, Clondalkin and St Andrew. You may spot something I’ve missed.

Searching in Ireland is a real challenge!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Noel - are you still researching? I've just joined the site as I was looking for my grandparents - Thomas and Nora O'Reilly - I think that Nora might be the daughter of James Craig so wanted to say hi as we're probably related!

Paula
    Last edited by paulafinn; 30-11-2014 at 1:48 PM. Reason: typo

Noel Boulsoverr

Hell Paula. Sorry for the delay but I have had trouble with my old password to log in.My son-in-law's father was Andrew, Nora's brother, though they could not remember Nora's married name. They did recall Phyllis who married Terence Finn, so I assume they are your parents? James was married at Chapelizod in 1899 to Bridget McLoughlan. They figure in 1901 census 30 New Row New Kilmainham (No Nora) but in 1911 Census at 48 New Row(Andrew and Nora ) I have copy of their marriage certificate 1899 which I can email to you if you contact me at <([email protected]>. I have still not found any more of James's ancestors but did trace Bridget's father. Our Boulsover family tree is an open tree on Ancestry. Please confirm Nora's married name as O'Reilly. My son in law and his sister also remember another sister Babs who went to Canada and an adopted 'sister' Jean. Do either of these stir memories in the family? Happy hunting, Noel

reverend

Default Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Boulsoverr View Post
    I am looking for info on Andrew Joseph Craig , family home New rRow Chapelizod. His marrfiage certificate of 28th August 1931 in Islington gives his father's name as James Craig described as a tramways inspector. I have hunted throuigh 1901 and 1911 census records of whole of Palmerston and have found two Craig families both in both censuse though different addresses. I can find nothing of James in either nor of Andrew Joseph in 1911 What is my best source of birth details, please, civil or church?
    there is a lot of craigs buried in esker cementry lucan one been neville who died about 10 years ago his wife is still alive some buried up there in the 40s too there are no record in cementry as they where lost in fire

Noel Boulsoverr

I have now received a personal message from Hilary Craig granddaughter of Kevin Craig brother of Andrew but cannot access the message to reply. If Hilary reads this please get in touch with direct address. Noel (boulsover AT talktalk DOT net)
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-06-2016 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Noel Boulsoverr

Thank you. please see latest post which refers to Craig burials at Esker cemetery. Noel Boulsover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12