sniper617

Default Commonwealth Roll of Honour Project

Commonwealth Roll Of Honour Project

Hi All,

In view of the cost of a photograph from the private websites such as the Maple Leaf Legacy and the BWMP i have decided to start a new Project, the aims of the project are set out below.
    I am already working with The Veterans Affairs Canada team and have been working with them for the last year or so. I'm hoping to also be working with a New Zealand and South African goverments who i have been in contact with for the last few weeks.
    The Project is called The Commonwealth Roll Of Honour Project and here are the aims.

The aim of this project is to work in conjunction with the governments or similar bodies in each Commonwealth Country to develop or contribute to a source of FREE online information of their war casualties.
    Our hope is to include all the information we can, including attestation papers, service records, medal records, war diaries, photographs of headstones and memorials and any other information available.
    If you are interested in helping with such a project or you are looking for a relative and would like our help please join our group and become a part of the Commonwealth Roll of Honour Project.
    COMMONWEALTH ROLL OF HONOUR PROJECTS

Please email me or PM me should you wish to help or if you have any questions. I hope that you will be able to join the Project and look forward to working with anyone who wishes to help.

A proper website will hopefully be up and running within the next couple of months.

To see were we are up to so far, then please have a quick look at ww2chat.com/memorials-cemeteries/201-commonwealth-roll-honour-project

Best wishes
    Mike (Sniper)

sniper617

I am looking for people who are able to go out into their local cemeteries/churchyards and take photograph's of the headstones of casualties buried in your area. I will be able to provide you with a datasheet listing all the casualties within the area you have chosen to do and once the project comes online with the website you will be credited with taking the photos.

I am also looking for an admin volunteer who knows how to datasplit from a word document onto an excel spreadsheet.

This project is aimed to help people like yourselves who are researching their family history so please either leave a message on this thread or PM me with the area you are able to cover, even if its one cemetery/churchyard. So far i have been able to help over 300 people with providing them photo's of a relative's headstone and have even been able to put a couple of people in touch with each other because they asked for the same photo, they ended up being cousins.

Shropshire has been completed now and so has Portsmouth Naval Memorial in Hampshire. Oxfordshire is nearly complete as is Berkshire. Brookwood Military Cemetery is 2/3'ds complete and will be completed in the next couple of weeks, this includes the Chelsea Pensioner area. I also have cemeteries in France, Greece, Australia, South Africa and Canada completed. I do need more volunteers within the U/K and other countries so please offer your help to help others in what you are doing.

If you have any requests please leave their details here on this thread and i will do my best to supply you with the photo if i have it, if not i will try and get it for you as soon as i can. On the lists i have which have been provided by the CWGC, a lot of them hold more imformation than what is listed on the CWGC website, such as cause of death. If you do have a casualty then i maybe able to provide you with that further imformation if it is listed, again leave your requests on this thread.

Thanks for any help you are able to offer in advance.

Best wishes

Mike [Sniper]