Marlene Dale

Default FAIRY/Jarrett/Bainton/Bamfield

Hi
    I have managed to trace female members of the Fairy family's marrriages to 1901-1904 & they include the surnames as above. Apart from the Free BMD (which won't really be helpful until 1911 when the females maiden names show ) is there any other resource I should purchase or ask for at a library?
    I guess electoral rolls might be an option can anyone tell me the years in which they were compiled?
    The surnames are too "popular" for the Registry office to search for children for me.
    I am researching the opposite way to most as I had no idea what happned to my greatgrandparents' families after they emigrated in 1878. Believe me going forwards instead of backwards is very time consuming, frustrating and expensive but there's obviously a bit of the Bulldog in me!
    Grateful for any ideas!

Shippy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Marlene Dale
    I have managed to trace female members of the Fairy family's marrriages to 1901-1904 & they include the surnames as above. Apart from the Free BMD (which won't really be helpful until 1911 when the females maiden names show ) is there any other resource I should purchase or ask for at a library?.....I am researching the opposite way to most as I had no idea what happened to my greatgrandparents' families after they emigrated in 1878.
    When you say that your family emigrated, where from and to? In which country are you looking for them?

In tracing families forwards in time, I've found wills to be a great help. For those who didn't leave a will, you will often find that Letters of Administration (commonly referred to as 'admons'). There is a central index to these at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London which has been copied onto microfilm and can be seen at many Local Studies Libraries/County Records Offices.

Have you tried to locate the family in the 1901 census? This might help to narrow down an area of the country in which to look for bmd in the GRO index.

Did any of the females' husbands fight and possilbly die in WW1? Have you tried the medal card index or the CWGC website?

Try looking for the husbands names in Street Directories.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Marlene Dale

Hi Geoffers!

The "olds" left Birmingham in 1878 for a new life in New Zealand. So it's relatively easy to trace back from when they left in 1878 to mid 1700s on both sides and forwards to 1901 but then it's rather by guess and by god. I have 1500 of the flitting Faireys from Beds, Hunts, Northants, Derby, Warwickshire, Herts, Lincs, Leics and all are connected without doubt.

But then I get to London and a couple of marriages have been found for me
    Gertrude Fairy married Charles Bainton in 1894 , he died and she remarried Joseph Banks Jarrett in 1900. In 1901 they have 2 children Harry B Jarrett 1896 (probably Charles Bainton's child I have yet to receive the cert) & Edith M Jarrett born October 1900.

So I presume I have a long wait for the 1911 census as I have no idea of any other children's names. I hav found several who died on the CWGC but children's names are not mentioned. I doubt any would have left Wills but will look to see if LDS can get the film you mention from Australia perhaps.
    Thanks for the advice
    Marlene

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Marlene Dale
    I doubt any would have left Wills but will look to see if LDS can get the film you mention from Australia perhaps.
    You might be surprised about the wills and admons - many people are recorded here and it is well worth checking the index, which is simple to use. The index alone provides a name, date and place of death / home address, sometimes an occupation. To whom probate/admon was granted along with either their relationship to the deceased/address/occupation.

Geoffers

Marlene Dale

Sounds quite exciting! Anything which might lead me to a conclusion! Even if I don't find a living relative (my ultimate objective!) it would be nice to know what happened to them .

Research interrupted tonight as I assess the Lions v. Argentina before they arrive on our shores!!

Cheers

Marlene