rogtut

Default Annie Elizabeth's address books

My wife's grandmother Annie Elizabeth Jackson (formerly Hyde, nee Wilton 1886-1971) kept diary/address books, albeit rather sketchy.

I have been able to trace most of the UK people but am stuck on 3 or 4 Canadian entries. The links to the relevant pages are below and I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the best way forward to find them and to establish the relationship to Annie Elizabeth.

Please note that the dates on the pages may not be the same date as the entries as it seems that Annie E used them primarily as address books rather than diaries. Does this make sense?

https://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...dressBook8.jpg

https://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...dressBook2.jpg

https://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...ressBook15.jpg

https://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...ressBook16.jpg

NadineS

Re: Mary Tweed and Nellie Wolrije

https://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/s.../gbsearch#form shows a marriage registration for Mary Wolrige and Harry Barnes Tweed in Vancouver. There's also death registrations for Nellie Wolrige, Mary (Wolrige) Tweed and her husband Harry Barnes Tweed in Vancouver.
    Sorry, I don't have access to British Columbia records, but the documents can be ordered from the above site or hopefully someone else will come along who can help you more.

It looks like Mary and Nellie were sisters, both born in Manitoba. Parents George and Elisa Wolrije, both born England. Looking quickly, the family is in Manitoba in 1901 and 1911. You should be able to view the census online here, https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html but I can't find them! They must be poorly transcribed - the handwriting in 1901 of the last name is poor and in 1911 it's written as "Wolerge"

In Brandon, Manitoba in 1901, the children all born Manitoba.
    George Wolrige 42 b England immig 1880
    Eliza Wolrige 41 b England immig 1880
    Rosa Wolrige 15 b 1 May 1885
    Alice Wolrige 13 b 20 Oct 1887
    Mary Wolrige 12 17 Aug 1888
    Clara Wolrige 11 b 18 Apr 1889
    Frederick I Wolrige 5 b 20 Nov 1895
    Nellie Wolrige 3 b 10 Sept 1897

Hope this helps

rogtut

Hello Nadine

Help? I should say so! Absolutely terrific. Eliza Wolrige was born Eliza Kirby (she died aged 97 in 1956 in Vancouver) - her father Joseph is Annie Elizabeth's grandfather's brother and I've been trying to link these two for some time. There are also more really interesting and surprising links on the Tweed line and I'm working on these.

I got lots of records from LDS - don't know what I'd do without them. The only missing record is the death of George Wolrige - this was after 1911 and before 1956). Still you can't have everything........

Regards

Roger

NadineS

That's fantastic, I was hoping that you'd recognize some of the names.
    So, going with the "Mr J Woods in Bradwardine, Manitoba", this could be the man:
    On the 1901 census of George Wolrige and family in Manitoba (Bradwardine area), the next family enumerated is a John P Woods.

John P Woods 42 b 6 Apr 1858 England immig 1882
    Jane Woods 48 b 19 Feb 1854 England immig 1882
    Benjamin W Woods 19 b 19 Aug 1882 England immig 1882
    Elizabeth M Woods 17 b 12 Jan 1884 Manitoba
    John Woods 14 b 8? Sept 1887 Manitoba
    Mary Woods 11 b Manitoba b 30 Apr 1889

Then I found a border crossing document on October 1913 for Benjamin Wood (32, farmer), his wife Laura B (35) and their son Thomas F (1 yr 9 ms) traveling from Vancouver to San Diego, California. Their last permanent address was Vancouver and their nearest living relative was his brother John Wood, Broadwardin Ontario. (Ontario? could be an error)

In 1911 it looks like John and Jane Woods retired to Vancouver. Benjamin and Laura are living there also.
    Everyone loves Vancouver!!

An online telephone directory for Canada https://www.canada411.ca/ There’s one Bacall.

sending a pm

rogtut

Well Nadine, I was so wrapped up with the Wolriges and Tweeds that I didn't see the Woods (for the trees) on the Census. And guess what: John Wood married Jane Kirby (on LDS):

John Price Wood
    Bride's Name: Jane Kirby
    Marriage Date: 1878
    Marriage Place: Radlett, Hertford, England
    Groom's Father's Name: Benjamin Wood
    Bride's Father's Name: Joseph Kirby
    Source Film Number: 1040804
    Reference Number: 2:1152WTP
    Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

I don't have Jane K in my tree as yet so more work to do.

Thanks again and for the PM

Jeff Wolrige

Default Nellie Wolrige

Good morning to you all. My name is Jeff Wolrige and Nellie was my great aunt. My grandfather was Frederick (Nellie's younger brother) who moved out to Vancouver in the early 1900's. I remember my Aunt nell quite clearly as I visited her regularly with her home being less than a block away from my elementary school Kerrisdale School. She had a big yard with massive plum trees. I remember playing the piano for her which she enjoyed. I can also remember Clara and Alice from my early childhood. I am happy to provide more family information if you like. Cheers.

rogtut

It is sometime since I have posted on Britgen - I've been very busy with both my family history and other current family matters.

I have been exchanging emails with Jeff Wolrige to, I think, our mutual benefit and I thought I should update NadineS following her early assistance.

I was able to obtain the will of Charles Wolrige RN who died in 1874.

This will of Charles Wolrige refers to a Sarah Parsons and her children George and Edward. (Interestingly he was a veteran of Trafalgar as a midshipman on the Minotaur).

The Census of 1851 for Totnes in Devon shows Sarah Parsons unmarried born 1824 in Devon with her sons Charles W Parsons born 1846 and Frederick Parsons born 1848.

The Census of 1861shows Sarah Parsons unmarried born 1824 in Paignton, Devon with her son George born in Paignton Devon in 1859.

The Census of 1861 shows Charles Wolrige retired commander RN b1879 in Devon with Frederick and Charles Parsons as sons.

The Census of 1871 shows Charles Wolrige retired commander RN b1879 in Devon with Frederick and George (born 1859) Parsons as visitors.

The Census of 1871 shows Sarah Parsons unmarried born 1824 in Paignton, Devon with her son Edward born in Devon in 1862.

The Census of 1881 shows George and Edward as carpenters living with a Millman family in Paignton.

BMD death index has:

Sarah Parsons
    Estimated birth year:abt 1823
    Year of Registration:1872
    Age at Death:49
    District:Totnes
    Countyevon

BMD birth index:
    Edward Parsons
    Year of Registration:1861
    Countyevon

George Parsons
    Year of Registration:1859
    Countyevon

PARSONS, Charles Wolrige Parsons
    Registration District: Totnes
    County: Devon
    Year of Registration: 1845

Frederick Parsons
    Year of Registration:1847
    Countyevon

LDS has the following:
    Charles Wolrige Parsons
    Baptism: 19 Jul 1845
    Stoke Gabriel, Devon
    Father's Name:
    Mother's Name: Sarah Parsons

It looks as if the Parsons brothers took their father's name. Frederick, Edward and George went to Canada. George married Eliza and had children Kirby but Edward and Frederick never married or had children.

I cannot find a marriage in England for George Parsons/Wolrige and Eliza Kirby and would appreciate any help to trace the marriage in Canada.

It seems that Charles Wolrige Parsons may have gone either to canada or perhaps (maybe later) to the USA and again any help in this area would be appreciated.

cntrygrl

Hi Roger,

George Wolrije and Eliza Kirby were married in Manitoba. https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Cheers,
    Nadine

LisaUSA

I apologize that this is off topic a bit, but I've been hunting for a Kate Watkins, born 1877 in Leamington, Warwickshire, England. She married a George Clement Beecher Barnes in July 1903 and they immigrated to Vancouver Canada in 1913.

It's a fairly common name, but I found a close match with someone on ancestry who hasn't responded to my request for more information. His tree was labeled Tweed Wolrige Kirby and this thread came up in a general google search when I thought to look further there.

Does the name Kate Watkins appear on your tree? I'm looking on behalf of my fiancé who doesn't know much about his genealogy. I'd really like to be able to give him his roots.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Hi

LisaUSA has started a thread re Kate Watkins here https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...-George-Barnes and has already received some replies and help.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs