Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

I do have a Robert A Watson on the database. He served on HMS Edinburgh as an AB, gave his place of birth as Yorkshire and said he was 35; his Baltic Medal was sent to Sandown CGS on the Isle of Wight. In addition the National Archives hold his service record in ADM 29/50/8, from this I established that prior to joining the CGS he had served on HMS Pylandes during the First China War in 1842, for which he received the China Medal.

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Martin,

Awesome work you've done, I found this thread (and website) by searching for the same Thomas Carter that you got some info on some 6 years ago.

If I can understand the writing, he was on the HMS St Vincent till 19 April 1849, then back on the HMS Britannia on 8 May(?) 1852 till 13 March 1855, finally the HMS Amphion early 1857. He then joined the Coastguard 21 March 1857. This seems to perfectly line up with the info you had posted relating to him.

I am interested in the information you had regarding the medal roll, as you said you had found him receiving the Baltic Medal. The service record mentions "Three" badges (not sure what this means), and has dates of badges as 10 August 1854 and 3 March 1855, and possibly 10 Aug 1858 (during Coastguard?). I am new to Navy records so any help in understand this would be great.

Thanks a lot,
    Logan

Logan

The 'badges' are not badges at all, but rather stripes worn on the sleeve, awarded for good conduct. Each 'badge' attracted additional pay, which was paid annually. If a man blotted his copy-book for some minor misdemeanour he could lose a badge and the whole of the monies owed for the year, a real incentive to keep ones nose clean!

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I've just had a look at the Baltic Medal roll, there sure is a Thomas Carter although I don't know how you transcribed the rest of the record, i'm guessing "2 M" is actually "Q M" for Quarter master? Would never have guessed that myself.

Seeing as he was aboard the HMS Britannia until 1855, I checked the Crimean Medal Roll, and there is a Carter on the Britannia that may have first name "Thos" althought it is hard for me to tell. Do you have this in your database, or could you use your magic powers to transcribe the record for me? I have it on ADM 171/26, pg 108, No. 9 or 19. Image here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...7383ED87C8.jpg

It's the correct boat with Thomas Wren Carter as captain (unfortunately not my Thomas Carter haha).

Thanks again,
    Logan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by LoganS View Post
    I have it on ADM 171/26, pg 108, No. 9 or 19.
    Nevermind, the next page has a Thomas Carter (No. 34). I believe this is the same Thomas Carter as the number on ships book lines up with that in the service record. What are the little notes in the margins such as "T/152" and "ml/40"?

'T/152' notes the award and issue of the Turkish Crimea Medal & 'ML/40' is the medal list number sent to the Admiralty.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Fantastic. Thanks Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Currently researching James Richards(son of Ebenezer Richards, himself a coast guard), born 1833 in Walmer. Tracing his service in ADM 175, ADM175_0007_England1845-1863.pdf page 120 has him transferring in to Cornhill(Dover) CG Station on 10 November 1858 from HMS Exmouth.

Martin, do you have any information in your database on James Richards service on HMS Exmouth and earlier?

Kelvin

Kelvin

Your man would not appear on my database because he was not a serving CG during the Crimean war. However, I've checked the medal roll, which confirms his Baltic Medal.

For his service you could consult his record in ADM 29/85/28, this is available on Ancestry or you could ask the National Archives for a quote to copy this page. There is also his Continuous Service record available to download off the NA website for a small fee - No. 75960.

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Martin, I have a grt grt grt granddad who served in the coastguard in england and ireland. Robert Bennett. he was born in 1799/1800 and joined the coastguard in 1829. having served in the royal navy for 5 years 1819 -1824, the years between navy and coastgaurd are a mystery. The weird thing is that he served up till 1851 in england, last station kessingland ... then appears back in ireland as a permanent extra man in adm175-19 pages 272 (Belderig) and 278(Ross) 1851-1857.. I know they drafted a lot of guys into the royal navy so he might have been coaxed out of retiremen to fill in vacancies but the strange thing is, in kessingland he is married to margaret in the 1851 cencus then in the 1861 he is retired living with her in Lowestoft.... but he is also living n Killala married to Judith and had at least three children there with her, and died in Killala in 187? and died in lowestoft in 186?... leads me to believe that thier were two Robert Bennetts but I have searched through the appointment books and can only find a record of one joining in Hawich in 1829 and on page 278 it mentions him joining in 1829 to much of a coincidence do you think....?? I think i have asked you this question in Coastguards of yesteryear, but there is a problem with my id and i cnnot get on to that site any more

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast