Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    ArgyEll

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Hi offcumdun.

I'm afraid, as with many local press reports, your wifes ancestors service in the Crimea has been exaggerated. He did serve with the Baltic Fleet on HMS Exmouth and HMS Monarch, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal, but never in the Black Sea in the Crimea. However, he had previously served on HMS Thunderer and had been awarded the Naval Service Medal with the 'Syria 1840' clasp.

In addition to being able to trace his Coastguard Service using the ADM 175 records, the National Archives does hold his service/pension record in ADM 29/78/100, which is also now avilable on Ancestry.

I would love a copy of the photograph and will email you with my private email address.

Regards Martin
    Hi guys,

I am descended from Liscombes in the south west of England, though possibly not the same line as this Liscombe. I run a group in Facebook for people who are Liscombe descendants, including some in north east England who are descended from this same John Liscombe. Would it be possible to share this picture with the group, or the individuals?

Thanks in ancitipation,

Bob Leiser

ALISON WILLMOTT

Default Matthew MATTHEWS b: about 1825 Minchinhampton

Hello Martin,
    I have just found your forum in regards Coastguards who also served in the RN. One of my ancestors fits your criteria. I do have quite a lot of info already but I would really appreciate it if you could look at what I already know and see if you can expand on it. His CG service record states that he was born 12 February 1826 Gloucester although other records show him as being born 1831 Minchinhampton (British Coastguards 1841-1891) and September 1835 Gloucester (ADM 175/59 – Fleet Lists). He was baptised 27 May 1825 Minchinhampton. He was born in the Minchinhampton Workhouse.
    He married Ann Nicholson (late McConnell) 1848 Chapel of East Stonehouse, Plymouth. Ann already had one child Elizabeth Jane McConnell when they married. Tracking him via the census and other records such as the births of his children.
    1851 he was living with his wife in Devonport with his occupation shown as Seaman.
    Daughter Ann is born in 1858 in Devonport.
    1859 his son’s George and John were born in Branscombe, Devon 1857 and 1859.
    1861 he was living in Crosscanonby, Maryport with his wife, but now with 2 sons and a daughter. His occupation is Coastguard.
    1871 he was living with his wife and 2 sons at Porlock. His occupation is Coastguard. His daughter Ann is living in at her place of work in nearby Minehead. She married a son of a Porlock fisherman and family myth was that we had links to smugglers from Porlock which seems quite probable considering the occupation.
    His CG service record shows he enlisted in 1863 and was pensioned out in 1876. It’s a bit difficult reading his last ship but I think it might say “Resistance” which I have found to have been a Coast Guard ship which was based in Rockferry, Birkenhead in 1870 so perhaps it could also have been there a few years earlier when he was living at Maryport.
    Another document ADM 139/2/120 indicates he served from 1852 to 1876 which would cover the period of the Crimean War.
    1881 he was living with his wife and 1 son in Bristol. His occupation is Naval Pensioner.
    I have yet to find his wife Ann’s death or burial but he remarried Emma Herbert in 1889 in Wiltshire, probably Swindon as his daughter Ann was living there with her husband by then.

Regards

Alison

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Alison

I don't think I can add a great deal more to your information.

He is shown as having first entered the CG Service on 11 November 1856 from HMS Leander, with a posting to Branscombe with a subsequent transfer to Maryport on 24 May 1860 (ADM 175/7 pdf 411). If he had served on Leander during the Crimean War then he would have been awarded a medal, but having now looked at his service record this should read HMS Meander. Meander was involved in the Crimean War but in the Pacific, for which no medal was granted.

According to the same service record he first entered the Royal Navy as an AB on HMS Powerful in 1848 then HMS Impregnable in 1851 and Meander in 1854 where he was rated as Captain of the Hold, a Petty Officer Rate.

The only other thing I can add is that he was awarded his RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal in June 1875.

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

H Martin
    If you are still doing your splendid work -
    I have a Duncan McInnes (one of several generations of coastguards), b. Campbeltown 1817, d. Campbeltown 1896, Commissioned Boatman at Fosdyke in 1851, Chief Boatman at Fosdyke 1861, left his Baltic Service Medal to his son James. His brother James W, b. Campbeltown 1823, d. Edinburgh (Leith?) Dec 1855, Coastguard at Elmer in 1851, might also have served in the Baltic Fleet.

Yours in hope, Ian

Hi Ian

I can confirm that Duncan served on HMS St George in the Baltic during the Crimean War. his medal was sent to Holbeach CG District on 19 May1857. I also have a James McInnes who served on HMS Cressy, but at the moment I cannot confirm if this is your man or not because Cressy's description book is sadly lacking in any detail. However, since his medal was sent to the Leith CG District on 20/4/1857 and the only James McInnes at this district died as a result of an accident on 17 Dec 1855, while stationed at North Queensferry, I would assume this is your man.

Martin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much Martin. I did wonder about James (my g.g.f.). In 1849 his wife had travelled all the way from Campbeltown to Elmer station to marry him, presumably by sea.
    Thanks again, Ian

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Martin, Wondered if you had any clues as to a William Audley born abt 1806. At one time an HM Customs Officer who died, married and had issue in Waterford in Waterford. Looking for birth details.
    Regards Eleanor

I've just bought a new computer and haven't yet migrated my database over, however, I did a check of the medal rolls but did not find a William Audley.

As a Customs Officer he will not be found in the Coastguard records, so I'm afraid it's a trip to Kew and a search of Customs records, although I've no idea what information is held or how useful it might be in your particular quest.

Martin

ALISON WILLMOTT

Thanks Martin, I have not checked this site for some time so missed your reply.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Coastguard William Wilkins Ebbett

Good morning/evening Martin,

Several years ago I stumbled upon your coastguard information pertaining to my gg grandfather William Wilkins Ebbett and now the link is disabled and I cannot find it. Would you be so kind and forward any links or information you have on his service in the RN in the Crimean War? You can send to my email if it's easier.

Many thanks, Rebecca

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast