weroberts

Default Looking info on Roberts Born in Tryddyn,

Looking for info on my Great Grandfather George Arther Roberts, Born 3/5/1885 in Tryddyn, Wales. When he came to the US in 1907 Through Halifax Canada, he listed his occupation as Coal Miner.
    Any if would be appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello,
    Welcome to the B-G forum!
    Just to be sure that I've spotted the correct George A Roberts on the 1930 US census, was his wife's name Beda?

weroberts

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Hello,
    Welcome to the B-G forum!
    Just to be sure that I've spotted the correct George A Roberts on the 1930 US census, was his wife's name Beda?
    Yes, Beda Stiffler, I can track her dads side through the fathers to Jacob Stiffler in 1700 moving to the US from Gemany in 1730

Nothing much on my Great Grandfather. Although my Grandmother said today that family history seems to think that George was adopted in Wales and may have originally had the last name of Rodgers.

I have the Family Tree from my Grandmothers (dads mom) side that was kept by the family back till the family came to the US in 1849

I would just like to find something on George. I found the city in Wales were he was born from his immigration record. His WW1 and WW2 Draft registration cards just say S. Wales

weroberts

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    There's this possibility in 1901

1,2, Brittania Terrace, Tryddyn (Flint)

Roberts John 50 Blacksmith
    Roberts Mary Ann 49
    Roberts Price 25 Coal Miner Hewer
    Roberts John 21 Blacksmith
    Roberts George 16 Coal Miner Labourer
    Williams Mary H Niece 3

All born Tryddyn, Flintshire

RG13/3379/200/page 12

As you have his exact date of birth I assume you have his BC. If so do his parents match?
    I have nothing on George's parents. My Grandmother (The wife of Elton Roberts, Georges Son) seems to remember that George may have been adopted and that his name may have originally been George Rodgers. (I found this out today)
    However if I had to take a guess I would say that the record you have would sure seem to fit.
    So he started as a coal minor Laborer in Wales, moved to the US in 1907 with $50 at the age of 23 and worked his way up to mine foreman of the Robert Gilmore Coal Co.

Quote Originally Posted by weroberts View Post
    When he came to the US in 1907 Through Halifax Canada, he listed his occupation as Coal Miner.
    Quote Originally Posted by weroberts View Post
    So he started as a coal minor Laborer in Wales, moved to the US in 1907 with $50 at the age of 23 and worked his way up to mine foreman of the Robert Gilmore Coal Co.
    I'm wondering if you've selected the correct immigration record.

On the 1930 census, George A Roberts gives an immigration date of 1888, and on the 1920 census, he says he immigrated in 1891.

On the 1900 census, there is a George A Roberts who fits his profile.
    He is living in Carbon, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, born March 1885, with an immigration year of 1887. His parents are John E Roberts and Lucretia.

This George A Roberts immigrated to the US in 1887 on the Celtic, arriving in New York on 10 Sep 1887 with his mother Lucretia & brothers John & Thomas, last place of residence was Cardiff

weroberts

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I'm wondering if you've selected the correct immigration record.

On the 1930 census, George A Roberts gives an immigration date of 1888, and on the 1920 census, he says he immigrated in 1891.

On the 1900 census, there is a George A Roberts who fits his profile.
    He is living in Carbon, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, born March 1885, with an immigration year of 1887. His parents are John E Roberts and Lucretia.

This George A Roberts immigrated to the US in 1887 on the Celtic, arriving in New York on 10 Sep 1887 with his mother Lucretia & brothers John & Thomas, last place of residence was Cardiff
    I found that 1930 Census, but didn't notice the immigration year on it. Just found the 1900 Census, and it matches. Wow thanks for putting me back on track.

weroberts

Where did you find the Ship info?

I found it on the ancestry.com New York passenger lists database.

Jesse Roberts

Default George A. Roberts

George A. Roberts, was the son of John Evan Roberts and Lucretia Ann Feodore Whitford, who immigrated to the USA in 1887. George A. Roberts married Beda E. Stiffler in 1914 in Cambria Co., PA. Check the US census. 1900 Carbon Twp., Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania; 1910 Boswell, Somerset County, Pennsylvania; 1920 Jenner Twp., Somerset County, Pennsylvania; and 1930 Jenner Twp., Somerset County, Pennsylvania for his parents and siblings. His mother Lucretia remarried after 1920 to Ishmael A. Roberts. In the 1930 census, my grandfather, Arnold O. Lemin/Roberts was living with them.
    George had a rather large family of his own, so you have lots of cousins, I'm sure.
    Jesse