frankath

Default James Henry MARTIN

I've tried most places that I can thnk of without success trying to track down this man.
    I have a marriage certificate dated 9th August 1899 James Henry MARTIN to Ann Elizabeth Emma ROMIA. He was shown as a gunner in the Royal Artillery at Devonport. He was born in Tavistock, in 1875. My father was born in November 1903 to Ann E E ROMIA and William E M CARTER. I know that divorce was a no no in those days, and can't find anything further about James Henry MARTIN. Is there someone out there who has access to the RA records to see if perhaps he died. Any help would be appreciated.
    Frank

suzieq08

Hello Frankath

Just to kindly let you know I am trying to locate your Ancestor for you via alternative source sites that I have access to.
    I will, as a matter of courtesy, update you of any/my findings.

Best wishes

Suzieq08

Brick wall demolition expert!

The Royal Artillery were involved in the second Boer War.

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Databa...ery/index.html

His military record may well provide some answers.

https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

Reputation beyond repute

1. Have you checked the military death indexes?

2. For the 1903 birth, were the parents married, claiming to be married or neither?

3. What are the results from the 1911 census?

suzieq08

Hi Frank

As promised, just to kindly let you know I have found the following information, which I believe relates to your Ancestors:

In the 1901 England Census it states the following
    Ann E.E. Martin
    Aged: 20
    Born: in 1881, Devonport, Devon
    (Her sister, Catherine Romia aged 27, Occupation: Laundress Wash, born in Plymouth, also resides with Anne.)

They both live at: 25 Arundel Crescent, Civil Parish Plymouth.
    Source Citation: RG13/2098

I have also found the following Military information, which I believe relates to your James Henry Martin:

UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902
    Name: MARTIN
    Casualty Type: Died
    Casualty Date: 28 November 1901
    Casualty Place: Barberton
    Force: South Africa Field Force
    Regiment: ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
    Battalion: 19th Battery
    Number: 75027

I hope the above information is beneficial to you and that you may be able to access further information relating to your Grandfather, James Henry Martin.

Best wishes and Good luck.

Suzieq08

frankath

May I say a big thank you to all those of you that responded so quickly to my query particularly suzie. As a matter of interest I assume that Ann E E MARTIN was living with what has proved to be my grandfather W E M Carter. He as born at Newton Abbot in 1877. The 1911 census shows that he was living with A E E Martin as husband and wife and that he was a photographic canvasser. He is another mystery. He is shown as "seaman Royal Navy" on my mothers marriage certificate in 1929. I can't find anything else other than he died in 1935. Any help on that one would be appreciated.
    Frank

Reputation beyond repute

I have also found the following Military information, which I believe relates to your James Henry Martin
    I suppose I'm being dim but I can't see what leads you to believe that the record relates to James Henry Martin.

Reputation beyond repute

Is there someone out there who has access to the RA records to see if perhaps he died.
    Frank

Some book titles -

The Boer war casualty roll 1899-1902 / Alexander M Palmer.
    Palmer, Alexander M.
    Military Minded, 1999.

The South African War casualty roll : The Natal Field Force, 20th Oct 1899 - 26th Oct 1900
    J.B. Hayward, 1980.

The South African War casualty roll : The South African Field Force, 11th Oct 1899 - June 1902
    J.B. Hayward, 1982.

They should be obtainable through Inter Library Loan

suzieq08

Hello Frank

I, too, found your relatives (Ann and William) listed on the 1911 Census -however, I wondered if you have considered accessing the Trade Directories of the time 1920/30 especially, as you state that William was a 'Photographic Canvasser?' I have found the 'Directories both Trade and Personal' invaluable when tracing my own family Ancestors and they are easily accessed at the Public Libaries.

With respect to the information I shared with you re: 'UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902' - obviously, I do hope that you are able to make a definitive connection to your James Henry Martin especially, based on the information you had kindly shared previously with the Forum.

Best wishes with your research Frank.

Kind regards

Suzie

frankath

Hi Suzie
    I was aware of the 1901 census and the 1911 census regarding Ann ROMIA. As regards James Henry MARTIN I have to agree with Peter there was no indication that the one referred to in "the casualtied of the Boer War" was in fact him. I have now ascertained that that MARTINs initials were not J H Thanks for trying. I have no evidence that he did in fact serve in the Boer War although the circumstantial evidence tends to lean that way.

Frank